Dysmenorrhœa: The oldest theories and the newest treatment
- D. J. Cannon
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The special purpose of my paper is to remove the weeds which arrest the growth and development of the modern theories of dysmenorrhœa which I outlined in a previous communication. Some of these weeds are most difficult to eradicate; for they have their roots deep down in the history of gynæcology. I refer in particular to Menge’s version of the psychological theory of pain which he based upon a false philosophy and a false physiology.
I admit that a genuine psychological theory of dysmenorrhœa based upon Aristotle’s theory of body-mind relationship is a theoretical possibility. We shall have to depend, however, upon the results of psychotherapy in order to refute the hypothesis or convert it into an accepted theory. I also admit that psychological factors may augment the intensity of dysmenorrhœic pain. Psychotherapy, therefore, may be a useful adjunct to the treatment of dysmenorrhœic cases whether they rest upon a physiological or psychological basis.
Mechanical theories of dysmenorrhœa arise from a natural prejudice on the part of certain gynæcologists against psychological explanations; for between such explanations of functional dysmenorrhœa and mechanical explanations, there can be no via media from the point of view of psycho-physical parallelism.
- Waterston:Brit. Med. Jo., 1934, ii, 1037.
- Cannon: Irish Jo. Med. Sci., 1935, vi, 4, 168.
- Blair Bell:Jo. Obst. Gyn. B.E., 1923, xxxviii, 2.
- Graves :Textbook of Gynecology. 3rd Ed. Saunders. 1923. P. 550.
- Novak and Harnik:Med. Klin., 1929, xxv, 251.
- Eden andLockyer.Textbook of Gynecology. 4th Ed. Appleton. 1935.
- Novak, E.:Jo. Am. Med. Assn., 1929, 99, 1466.
- Davis:Brit. Med. Jo., 1934, ii, 1.
- Cotte:Troubles fonctionelles de l’Appareil genital de la, Femme. Masson, Paris. 1931.
- Cannon: Irish Jo. Med. Sc., 1932, vi, 3, 150. CrossRef
- Dysmenorrhœa: The oldest theories and the newest treatment
The Irish Journal of Medical Science
Volume 11, Issue 3 , pp 108-121
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors