Cystic hypersecretory duct carcinoma of the breast: A case report describing the cytologic features
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We report the clinical, cytological and pathological features of so-called cystic hypersecretory duct carcinoma occurring in a 60-year-old Japanese woman. The tumor manifested a multicystic mass ultrasonographically, and aspiration biopsy cytology revealed atypical ductal epithelial cells with vacuolar cytoplasm. A modified radical mastectomy was performed. Histologically, the lesion was characterized by many dilated ducts containing eosinophilic secretions, which resembled thyroid colloid. The ducts were lined by an intraductal micropapillary carcinoma with hobnail-shaped cells, and were positive for lactalbumin immunohistochemically. Additionally, a so-called cystic hypersecretory hyperplasia was seen in the surrounding breast parenchyma. Although a direct transition from the hyperplasia to the carcinoma was not proved, a close relationship between the two lesions was suggested.
- Rosen PP, Scott M: Cystic hypersecretory duct carcinoma of the breast.Am J Surg Pathol 8:31–41, 1984. CrossRef
- Guerry P, Erlandson RA, Rosen PP: Cystic hypersecretory hyperplasia and cystic hypersecretory duct carcinoma of the breast; Pathology, therapy, and follow-up of 39 patients.Cancer 61:1611–1620, 1988. CrossRef
- Colandra JM, Schmookler BM, O’Dowd GJ,et al: Cystic hypersecretory duct carcinoma of the breast; Report of a case with fine-needle aspiration.Arch Pathol Lab Med 112:560–563, 1988.
- Mcdivitt RW, Stewart FW: Breast carcinoma in children.JAMA 195:388–390, 1966. CrossRef
- Tamura G, Kaizuka H, Iwasaki T,et al: Non-invasive secretory carcinoma of the breast.Gan No Rinsho 33:723–728, 1987 (in Japanese with English summary).
- Komaki K, Sakamoto G, Sugano H: Mucinous carcinoma of the breast in Japan; A prognostic analysis based on morphologic features.Cancer 61:989–996, 1988. CrossRef
- Bhargava V, Miller TR, Cohen MB: Mucocele-like tumors of the breast; Cytologic findings in two cases.Am J Clin Pathol 95:875–877, 1991.
- Cystic hypersecretory duct carcinoma of the breast: A case report describing the cytologic features
Volume 3, Issue 2 , pp 131-134
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors