Bayesian estimation for the Pareto income distribution
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The Bayes estimators of the Gini index, the mean income and the proportion of the population living below a prescribed income level are obtained in this paper on the basis of censored income data from a pareto income distribution. The said estimators are obtained under the assumptions of a two-parameter exponential prior distribution and the usual squared error loss function. This work is also extended to the case when the income data are grouped and the exact incomes for the individuals in the population are not available. The method for the assessment of the hyperparameters is also outlined. Finally, the results are generalized for the doubly truncated gamma prior distribution.
- Arnold, B.C. (1994) What price convenience?, Parisankhyan Samikkha, 1, 35–41
- Arnold, B.C. and Press, S.J. (1983) Bayesian inference for Pareto populations, J. Econometrics, 21, 287–306. CrossRef
- Arnold, B.C. and Press, S.J. (1986) Bayesian Analysis of censored and grouped data from Pareto populations, Bayesian Inference and Decision Techniques (P. Goel and A. Zellner, ed.) Amsterdam: North-Holland, 157–173.
- Bhattacharya, S.K. and Singh, N. (1988) Bayesian analysis of an outlier model in life testing, South African Statist. J., 22, 55–67.
- Erdélyi, A. et al. (1953) Higher Transcendental Functions, vol. II, McGraw-Hill, N.Y.
- Ganguly, A., Singh, N.K., Chaudhury, H. and Bhattacharya, S.K. (1992) Bayesian Estimation of the GINI index for the PID, Test, 1, 93–104. CrossRef
- Geisser, S. (1984) Predicting Pareto and exponential observable, Canadian J. Statist., 12, 143–152. CrossRef
- Kakwani N.C. (1976) On the estimation of income inequality measures from grouped observations, The Review of Economic Studies, XLIII (3), 483–492. CrossRef
- Moothathu, T.S.K. (1985) Sampling distribution of Lorenz curve and Gini index of the Pareto distribution, Sankhyā, 47B, 247–258.
- Pareto, V. (1897) Cours D'Economic Politique. Paris: Rouge and Cie.
- Sen, P.K. (1968) The Gini coefficient and poverty indexes: Some reconciliations, Jour. Amer. Stat. Assoc., 81, 1050–1057. CrossRef
- Todaro, M.P. (1985) Economic Development in the Third World, London: Orient Longman.
- Bayesian estimation for the Pareto income distribution
Volume 40, Issue 3 , pp 247-262
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Bayes estimator
- Bayesian posterior density (BPD)
- Doubly Truncated Gamma prior distribution
- Gini Index (GI)
- Hyperparameter assessment
- Likelihood function (LF)
- Pareto income distribution (PID)
- Poverty Line (PL)
- Squared error loss function (SELF)
- Industry Sectors