The renal parenchymal stone: A benign calcified renal mass
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Five patients are described, each with a densely calcified solitary mass in a peripheral location in the kidney. There was exophytic projection of the calcification in 4 cases. Three lesions were so completely calcified as to be regarded as stones. The bulk of the lesion was calcified in the 2 other cases, in which the noncalcified portion was either avascular or hypovascular. In no case was there evidence of a soft-tissue mass extending beyond the confines of the calcification.
Pathologic correlation in 1 case showed only calcification in association with some renal scarring, and in a second case demonstrated an old organized and calcified abscess. Long-term follow-up in the other 3 cases has demonstrated complete stability without evidence of tumor.
All cases are believed to represent examples of calcified renal parenchymal scars, resulting from old granulomatous disease, renal abscess, or hematoma. We propose that these lesions be regarded as solitary renal parenchymal stones without malignant potential, rather than calcified masses. The significance of the findings for patient management are discussed.
- Daniel WW, Hartman GW, Witten DM, Farrow GM, Kelalis PP: Calcified renal masses. A review of ten years experience at the Mayo Clinic.Radiology 103: 503–508, 1972
- Sniderman KW, Krieger JN, Seligson GR, Sos TA: The radiologic and clinical aspects of calcified hypernephroma.Radiology 131:31–35, 1979
- Kim WS, Goldman SM, Gatewood OMB, Marshall FF, Siegelman SS: Computed tomography in calcified renal masses.J Comput Assist Tomogr 6:855–860, 1981 CrossRef
- Weyman PJ, McClennan BL, Lee JKT, Stanley RJ: CT of calcified renal masses.AJR 138:1095–1099, 1982
- Kikkawa K, Lasser EC: “Ring-like” or “rim like” calcification in renal cell carcinoma.AJR 107:737–742, 1969
- Krieger JN, Sniderman KW, Seligson GR, Sos TA: Calcified renal cell carcinoma. A clinical, radiographic and pathologic study.J Urol 121:575–580, 1979
- Lalli, AF: Renal parenchymal calcifications.Semin Roentgenol 17:(2)101–112, 1982 CrossRef
- Phillips TL, Chin FG, Palubinskas AJ: Calcification in renal masses: an eleven year survey.Radiology 80:786–794, 1963
- The renal parenchymal stone: A benign calcified renal mass
Volume 6, Issue 1 , pp 170-174
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Additional Links
- Kidney, calcification
- Kidney, neoplasms, diagnosis