Toral algebraic sets and function theory on polydisks
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A toral algebraic set A is an algebraic set in ℂ n whose intersection with T n is sufficiently large to determine the holomorphic functions on A. We develop the theory of these sets, and give a number of applications to function theory in several variables and operator theoretic model theory. In particular, we show that the uniqueness set for an extremal Pick problem on the bidisk is a toral algebraic set, that rational inner functions have zero sets whose irreducible components are not toral, and that the model theory for a commuting pair of contractions with finite defect lives naturally on a toral algebraic set.
- Agler, J. and McCarthy, J.E. Nevanlinna-Pick interpolation on the bidisk,J. Reine Angew. Math. 506, 191–204, (1999).
- Agler, J. and McCarthy, J.E. Distinguished varieties,Acta Math. 94, 133–153, (2005). CrossRef
- Andô, T. On a pair of commutative contractions,Acta Sci. Math. (Szeged) 24, 88–90, (1963).
- Ball, J.A., Sadosky, C., and Vinnikov, V. Conservative linear systems, unitary colligations and Lax-Phillips scattering: Multidimensional generalizations,Internat. J. Control 77(9), 802–811, (2004). CrossRef
- Ball, J.A. and Trent, T.T. Unitary colligations, reproducing kernel Hubert spaces, and Nevanlinna-Pick interpolation in several variables,J. Funct. Anal. 197, 1–61, (1998). CrossRef
- Ball, J.A. and Vinnikov, V. Hardy spaces on a finite bordered Riemann surface, multivariable operator theory and Fourier analysis along a unimodular curve, inOperator Theory Advances and Applications,129, 37–56, Birkhäuser, Basel, (2000).
- Ball, J.A. and Vinnikov, V. Overdetermined multidimensional systems: State space and frequency domain methods, inMathematical Systems Theory in Biology, Communications, Computation, and Finance,134,IMA Vol. Math. Appl. 63–119, Springer, Berlin, (2003).
- Cole, B.J. and Wermer, J. Andô’s theorem and sums of squares,Indiana Math. J. 48, 767–791, (1999). CrossRef
- Eisenbud, D.Commutative Algebra, Springer, New York, (1995).
- Fischer, G.Plane Algebraic Curves, American Mathematical Society, Providence, (2001).
- Krantz, S. and Parks, H.A Primer of Real Analytic Functions, Birkhäuser, Basel, (2002).
- Rudin, W.Function Theory in Polydiscs, Benjamin, New York, (1969).
- Szokefalvi-Nagy, B. and Foiaş, C.Harmonic Analysis of Operators on Hilbert Space, North Holland, Amsterdam, (1970).
- Toral algebraic sets and function theory on polydisks
The Journal of Geometric Analysis
Volume 16, Issue 4 , pp 551-562
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Toral variety
- inner function
- H ∞
- Pick interpolation