Relationship between wave steepness and wave age in the course of wind wave growth
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
It is traditionally assumed that the relationship between wave steepness and wave age is independent of the wind wave growth state. In fact, the traditional relationship can not describe the whole course of wind wave growth. This paper assumes that the relationship between wave steepness and wave age changes with the variety of dimensionless fetch. Based on the relationship proposed by Hou and Wen (1990), a new relationship in the course of wind wave growth is revealed. Comparisons between the present study and other previous relationships show that this new relationship explains better the observations than the other existing relationships. In the case of small fetch, wave age value increases more quickly than other models while it is in opposition to that in the case of large fetch. The result in present paper can clearly reflect the whole course of wind wave growth, it is an improvement for traditional results.
- Guan, C. L. and Q. Sun, 2002. Analytically derived wind wave growth relationships.China Ocean Engineering 16(3): 359–368.
- Hou, Y. J. and T. Wang, 1993. Characteristic parameters of the wind wave spectrum.Oceanologia et Limnologia Sinica 24(2): 126–131.
- Hou, Y. J. and S. C. Wen, 1990. Wind wave spectra with three parameters.Oceanologia et Limnologia Sinica 21(6): 495–504.
- Toba, Y., 1972. Local balance of in the air-sea boundary processes. I. On the growth process of wind waves.J. Oceanogr. Soc. Japan 28(3): 109–121. CrossRef
- Wang, B. X., 1990. An investigation on the α−β relationship of ocean waves.J. Ocean Univ. Qingdao 20(3): 1–9. (in Chinese)
- Wen, S. C., 1962. Ocean Wave Theory. Shandong People's Press, Jinan, China. p. 224–265.
- Wen, S. C. and Z. W. Yu, 1984. Ocean Wave Theory and Computation Principle, Science Press, Beijing. (in Chinese)
- Relationship between wave steepness and wave age in the course of wind wave growth
Chinese Journal of Oceanology and Limnology
Volume 22, Issue 4 , pp 340-343
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Science Press
- Additional Links
- wave steepness
- wave age
- relationship between wave steepness and wave age
- Industry Sectors