Macrobenthos communities on reefs of the An Thoi archipelago of the South China Sea
- Yu. Ya. Latypov
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Macrobenthos communities were studied on fringing reefs of the An Thoi Islands using scuba-diving techniques. The islands are located in the turbid and highly eutrophic waters of the eastern Gulf of Siam. We studied species composition and population densities and biomasses in common species of algae, coelenterates, mollusks, and echinoderms and also the degree of substrate coverage by macrophytes and corals. A pronounced vertical zonation is revealed in the spatial succession of different macrobenthos communities. The domination of massive porites in almost all reefs of the Gulf of Siam is due to their capability to survive under conditions that are stressful for many corals. They predominate over other scleractinians in terms of the productivity of organic matter, degree of substrate coverage, and species diversity. They also constitute the reef skeleton and play a significant role in the expansion of the reef area in the muddy bottoms of the Gulf of Siam.
- Benayahu, Y. and Loya, Y., Space Partitioning by Stony Corals, Soft Corals, and Benthic Algae on the Coral Reefs on the Northern Gulf of Elate (Red Sea).Helgoländ. Wiss. Meeresuntersuch., 1977, vol. 30, pp. 362–382. CrossRef
- Chou, L.M. and Teo, Y.H., An Ecological Study on the Scleractinian Corals of Pulau Salu Reef, Singapore,Asian Mar. Biol., 1985, vol. 2, pp. 11–20.
- Dai, C.F., Patterns of Coral Distribution and Benthic Space Partitioning on the Fringing Reefs of Southern Taiwan,Mar. Ecol., 1993, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 185–204.
- Ditlev, H., Zonation of Corals (Scleractinia Coelenterata) on Intertidal Reef Flats at Ko Phuket, Eastern Indian Ocean,Mar. Biol., 1978, vol. 42, pp. 29–39. CrossRef
- Dodge, R.E., Growth Characteristics of Reef-Building Corals,Proc. 4th Coral Reef Symp., Manila, 1981, vol. 2, pp. 241–248.
- Dollar, S., Wave Stress and Coral Community Structure in Hawaii,Coral Reefs, 1982, vol 1, pp. 71–81. CrossRef
- Ducklow, H.W. and Mitchell, R., Bacteria in Mucus Layers on Living Corals,Limnol. Oceanogr., 1979, vol. 24, pp. 715–725. CrossRef
- Glynn, P.W., Ecology of a Caribbean Coral Reef. ThePorites Reef Flat Biotope. Part 1. Meteorology and Hydrography.Mar. Biol., 1973, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 297–318. CrossRef
- Gusman, H.M. and Cortes, J., Coral Reef Community Structure at Cano Islands, Pacific Costa Rica,Mar. Ecol., 1989, vol. 10, pp. 23–24. CrossRef
- Hamilton, H.G.H. and Brackel, W.H., Structure and Coral Fauna of East African Reefs,Bull. Mar. Sci., 1984, vol. 34, pp. 248–266.
- Highsmith, R.C., Passive Colonization and Asexual Colony Multiplication in the Massive CoralPorites lutea Milne Edwards and Haime,J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol., 1980, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 55–67. CrossRef
- Holthus, P.F., Maragos, J.E., and Evans, C.W., Coral Reef Recovery Subsequent to the Freshwater Kill of 1965 in Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii,Pacif. Sci., 1989, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 122–134.
- Huston, M., Variation in Coral Growth Rates with Depth at Discovery Bay, Jamaica,Coral Reefs, 1985, vol. 4, pp. 19–25. CrossRef
- Khomenko, T.N., Distribution of Scleractinians Poritids on Reefs of the Bai Thu Long Archipelago of the Bay of Tonkin,Biol. Morya, 1993, no. 3, pp. 11–19.
- Latypov, Yu.Ya., Coral Communities of the Namsu Islands (Gulf of Siam, South China Sea),Mar. Ecol. Progr. Ser., 1986, vol. 29, pp. 261–270. CrossRef
- Latypov, Yu.Ya., Scleractinian Corals of South Vietnam,Biol. Morya, 1987, no. 5, pp. 12–19.
- Latypov, Yu.Ya., Reefs and Communities of Scleractinians of Thu Island (South Vietnam),Biologiya pribrezhnykh vod V'etnama: Gidrobiologicheskie issledovaniya litorali i sublitorali Yuzhhogo V'etnama (Biology of Coastal Waters of Vietnam: Hydrobiological Investigations of Intertidal and Subtidal Zones of South Vietnam), Vladivostok: DVO Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1988, pp. 11–19.
- Latypov, Yu.Ya., Reefs and Communities of Scleractinians of the Western Part of the Bai Tu Long Archipelago (the South China Sea),Biol. Morya, 1992, no. 1–2, pp. 17–26.
- Latypov, Yu.Ya., Benthos Communities of Coral Reefs of the Kon Dao Islands of the South China Sea,Biol. Morya, 1993, no. 5–6, pp. 40–53.
- Loya, Y., Effects of Water Turbidity and Sedimentation on the Community Structure of Puerto Rican Corals,Bull. Mar. Sci., 1976, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 450–466.
- Loya, Y. and Slobodkin, L., The Coral Reefs of Elate (Gulf of Elate, Red Sea),Symp. Zool. Soc. Lond., 1971, vol. 28, pp. 117–140.
- Marsh, J.A., Jr., Preliminary Observation on the Productivity of a Guam Reef Flat Community,Proc. Second Int. Coral Reef Symp., Brisbane, 1974, vol. 1, pp. 139–145.
- Mergner, H., Quantitative ökologische Analyse eines Rifflagunenareals bei Aqaba (Golf von Aqaba, Rotes Meer),Helgoländ. Wiss. Meeresuntersuch., 1979, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 476–507. CrossRef
- Petersen, C.G., The Animal Association on the Sea Bottom of the North Atlantic,Kobenhavn Ber. Biol. Stat., 1914, vol. 22, pp. 89–98.
- Potts, D.C., Done, T.H., Isdate, P.J., and Fisk, D.A., Dominance of Coral Community by the GenusPorites (Scleractinia),Mar. Ecol. Progr. Ser., 1985, vol. 23, pp. 79–84. CrossRef
- Sakai, K., Yeemin, T., Svidvong, A.,et al., Distribution and Community Structure of Hermatypic Corals in the Sichang Islands, Inner Part of the Gulf of Thailand,Galaxea, 1986, vol. 5, pp. 27–74.
- Simkiss, K., Phosphates as Crystal Poisons of Calcification,Biol. Rev. Cambridge Phil. Soc., 1964, vol. 39, pp. 487–505.
- Skarlato, O.A., Golikov, A.N., Vasilenko, S.K.,et al., Composition, Structure, and Distribution of Bottom Biocenoses in Coastal Waters of Pos'eta Bay (Sea of Japan),Biotsenozy zaliva Pos'eta Yaponskogo morya (Biocenoses of Pos'eta Bay, Sea of Japan), Leningrad: Nauka, 1967, pp. 5–61.
- Sorokin, Yu.I.,Ekosistemy korallovykh rifov (Ecosystems of Coral Reefs), Moscow: Nauka, 1990.
- Tomascik, T. and Sander, F., Effect of Eutrophication on Reef-building Corals. 2. Structure of Scleractinian Coral Communities on Fringing Reefs, Barbados, West Indies,Mar. Biol., 1987, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 53–75. CrossRef
- Tomascik, T. and Sander, F., Effect of Eutrophication on Reef-building Corals. 3. Reproduction of the Reef-building CoralPorites porites, Mar. Biol., 1987, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 77–94. CrossRef
- Macrobenthos communities on reefs of the An Thoi archipelago of the South China Sea
Russian Journal of Marine Biology
Volume 26, Issue 1 , pp 18-26
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Yu. Ya. Latypov (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Marine Biology, Far East Division, Russian Academy of Sciences, 690041, Vladivostok, Russia