Clinico-hematological profile and natural history of childhood myelodysplastic syndromes
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The clinical and hematological characteristics of ten children with myelodysplastic syndromes diagnosed and followed up over a 3 year period are presented. All of them had anemia and a low platelet count whilst the white blood cell count was variable. Presentation with bilateral proptosis and acute febrile neutrophilic dermatosis (Sweet’s syndrome) were unique features observed in one case each. None of these cases could afford specific therapy and thus serve to illustrate the natural history of the disease in pediatric practice.
- Jacobs A. Myelodysplastic syndromes; pathogenesis, functional abnormalities and clinical implications.J Clin Pathol 1985; 38: 1201–1217. CrossRef
- Foucar K, Langdon RM, Armitage JO et al. Myelodysplastic syndromes, a clinical and pathologic analysis of 109 cases.Cancer 1985; 56: 553–561. CrossRef
- Cruetzig U, Cantu Rajnoldi A, Ritter J et al. Myelodysplastic syndromes in childhood. Report of 21 patients from Italy and West Germany.Am J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 1987; 9: 324–330. CrossRef
- Brandwein JM, Horsman DE, Eaves AC et al. Childhood myelodysplasia; Suggested classification as myelodysplastic syndromes based on laboratory and clinical findings.Am J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 1990; 12: 63–70. CrossRef
- Van Wering ER, Kamps WA, Vossen JM et al. Myelodysplastic syndromes in childhood: Three case reports.Br J Haematol 1985; 60: 137–142.
- Blank J, Lange B. Preleukemia in children.J Pediatr 1981; 98: 565–568. CrossRef
- Bennett JM, Catovsky D, Daniel MT et al. Proposals for the classification of the myelodysplastic syndromesBr J Haematol 1982; 51: 189–199.
- Spitzer TR, Groldsmith GH Jr. Myelodysplastic syndromes is another classification necessary?Br J Haematol 1982; 52: 343–344.
- Greenberg PL. The smoldering myeloid leukemic state: clinical and biologic features.Blood 1983; 61: 1035–1044.
- Vallespi T, Torrabadella M, Julia A et al. Myelodysplastic syndromes: A study of 101 cases according to the FAB classification.Br J Haematol 1985; 61: 83–92.
- Fohlmeister J, Fischer R, Modder B et al. Aplastic anaemia and the hypocallular myelodysplastic syndrome, histomorphological, diagnostic and prognostic features.J Clin Pathol 1985; 38: 1218–1224. CrossRef
- Bagby G. The preleukemic syndrome (ha ematopoietic dysplasia). In: Shahidi NT, ed.Aplastic Anaemia and Other Bone Marrow Failure Syndromes. Berlin: Springer, 1990; pp. 179–221.
- Knight DK, Layton DM, Mufti GJ et al. Sweet's syndrome with myelodysplasia.Glut 1988; 56: 47–48.
- Marsh JCW, Geary CG. Annotation. Is aplastic anemia a preleukaemic disorder?Br J Haematol 1991; 77: 447–452. CrossRef
- Tichelli A, Gratwohl A, Wirsh A et al. Late haematological complications in severe aplastic anaemia.Br J Haematol 1988; 69: 413–418.
- Guinan EC, Tarbell NJ, Tantravahi R et al. Bone marrow transplantation for children with myelodysplastic syndromes.Blood 1989; 73: 619–622.
- Clinico-hematological profile and natural history of childhood myelodysplastic syndromes
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 60, Issue 4 , pp 573-581
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Myelodysplastic syndrome
- Sweet’s syndrome
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Hematology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, 160 012, Chandigarh
- 2. Department of Pediatrics, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh