The evolution of food retailing systems: Contrasting the experience of developed and developing countries
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Most writings on the evolution patterns of food retailing institutions have dealt with developed country experiences. This article reviews the evolution of food retailing systems in the developing economies and relates it to the experience of developed economies. Variations in food retailing systems among countries are related, in a systematic manner, to the differences in the environmental factors. The difficulties of introducing an innovative institution, the supermarket, in developing economies are also discussed.
- Anderson, D. 1970.Marketing Development: The Thailand Experience. East Lansing: MSU International Business and Economic Studies.
- Appel, David 1972. “The Supermarket: Early Development of an Institutional Innovation”.Journal of Retailing 48 (Spring) 39–53.
- Arndt, Johan 1972. “Temporal Lags in Comparative Retailing”.Journal of Marketing 36 (October) 40–45. CrossRef
- Bennett, Peter D. 1966. “Retail Evolution or Revolution in Chile?”Journal of Marketing 30 (July) 38–41. CrossRef
- Bliss, P. 1960. “Schumpeter: The Big Disturbances in Retailing”.Social Forces 29 (October) 72–76. CrossRef
- Bucklin, L. P. 1977. “Improving Food Retailing in Developing Asian Countries”.Food Policy (May) 114–122. CrossRef
- Cundiff, Edward W. 1965. “Concepts in Comparative Retailing”.Journal of Marketing 29 (January) 59–63. CrossRef
- Davidson, William R. 1970. “Changes in Distributive Institutions”.Journal of Marketing 34 (January) 7–10. CrossRef
- Dreesman, A. C. R. 1968. “Patterns of Evolution in Retailing”.Journal of Retailing 44 (Spring) 64–81.
- Gist, Ronald E. 1968.Retailing: Concepts and Decisions. New York: John Wiley and Sons. 106–111.
- Goldman, Arieh 1974a. “Growth of Large Food Stores in Developing Countries”.Journal of Retailing 50 (Summer) 50–60.
- Goldman, Arieh 1974b. “Outreach of Consumers and the Modernization of Urban Food Retailing in Developing Countries”.Journal of Marketing 38 (October) 8–16. CrossRef
- Goldman, Arieh 1975-1976. “Stages in the Development of the Supermarket”.Journal of Retailing (Winter) 49–64.
- Goldman, Arieh 1978. “Institutional Changes in Retailing: An Updated ‘Wheel of Retailing’ Theory”, in Arch Woodsideet al., (editors)Foundation of Marketing Channels, Austin Press, 189–212.
- Guthrie, Colin B. 1972.Food Distribution in a Latin American City: Cali, Colombia. Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, Michigan State University.
- Hall, Margaret, J. Knapp and C. Winsten 1961.Distribution in Great Britain and North America. London: Oxford University Press.
- Hawkins, H. C. G. 1965.Wholesale and Retail Trade in Tanganyika: A Study of Distribution in East Africa. Praeger Special Studies in International Economics and Development.
- Hollander, Stanley C. 1960. “The Wheel of Retailing”.Journal of Marketing 24 (July) 37–42. CrossRef
- Hollander, Stanley C. 1966. “Notes on the Retail Accordion”Journal of Retailing. 42 (Summer) 29–32.
- Izraeli, Dov 1971. “The Cyclical Evolution of Marketing Channels”European Journal of Marketing 5 (Autumn) 137–144. CrossRef
- Izraeli, Dov 1973. “The Three Wheels of Retailing: A Theoretical Note”.European Journal of Marketing 7:1, 70–74. CrossRef
- Kaynak, Erdener, 1975.Comparative Analysis of Food Retailing Systems in Urban Turkey. Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, Cranfield Institute of Technology.
- Kaynak, Erdener 1978. “Changes in the Food Retailing Institutions of Urban Turkey: The Istanbul Experience”.Studies in Development 18 (Winter) 53–71.
- Kaynak, Erdener 1979. “A Refined Approach to the Wheel of Retailing”.European Journal of Marketing 13:7, 237–245. CrossRef
- Kaynak, Erdener 1980. “Government Environment of Food Distributors in LDC's—The Turkish Case”.Food Policy. 5:2, 132–142. CrossRef
- Lebow, V. 1957. “The Crisis in Retailing”.Journal of Retailing 33 (Spring) 17–26.
- Lewis, E. H. 1968.Marketing Channel: A Systems Approach. McGraw-Hill.
- Mallen, Bruce E. 1967.The Marketing Channel: A Conceptual Viewpoint. Wiley Marketing Series.
- Markin, Rom J. 1963. “The Superette: Opportunity for the Independent Owner”.Journal of Retailing (Spring) 18–26.
- McCammon, Bert C. 1964. “Alternative Explanations of Institutional Change and Channel Evolution”, in S. A. Greyser (ed.),Toward Scientific Marketing, Chicago: American Marketing Association, 477–490.
- Meissner, Frank 1978. “Rise of Third World Demands Marketing to be Stood on Its Head”.Marketing News (October 6) 1 and 16.
- Mittendorf, Hans-Joachim 1978. “The Challenge of Organizing City Food Marketing Systems in Developing Countries”.Zeitschrift fur auslandische Landwirtschaft 17:4, 323–341.
- Mueller, W. E. and L. Garoian 1961.Changes in the Market of Grocery Retailing Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin Press.
- Regan, William J. 1961. “Full Cycle for Self-Service”.Journal of Marketing 25 (April) 15–21. CrossRef
- Regan, William J. 1964. “The Stages of Retail Development” inTheory in Marketing, 2nd Series, Reavis Cox (ed.), R. D. Irwin, Chapter 9.
- Riley, Harold,et al. 1970.Market Coordination in the Development of Cauca Valley Region-Colombia. Research Report No. 5, Michigan State University, 346–380.
- Savguc, C. 1969.The Buying Habits of Low-Income Families Living in a Specific Area of Istanbul. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Bogazici University, Istanbul.
- Slater, Charles,et al. 1969.Market Processes in the Recife Area of Northeast Brazil. Research Report No. 2, Michigan State University, Chapter 6.
- Wadinambiaratchi, George 1972. “Theories of Retail Development”.Social and Economic Studies 4 (December) 391–403.
- The evolution of food retailing systems: Contrasting the experience of developed and developing countries
Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science
Volume 10, Issue 3 , pp 249-268
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors