Recent advances in the management of non-specific aorto-arteritis
- Dr. Vijayalakshmi
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Non-Specific Aorto-arteritis or Takayasu’s arteritis (TA) is a chronic inflammatory disease of the aorta and its major branches which either Presents with constitutional symptoms in its active phase or with steno-occlusive symptoms in the healing phase. In children, it is an aggressive disease and often lethal. Congestive heart failure is more common in children than adults. TA often goes undiagnosed till it is too late and death rate of 35% or more is observed in 5 years. Therapeutic Interventional Cardiology offers new hope and saves the children with TA from certain death. Today, percutaneous transluminar balloon angioplasty (PTBA) has emerged as a non-surgical, safe, effective alternative therapeutic option and endovascular stents have revolutionised the management. The disease must be suspected and diagnosed precisely with echocardiography and angiography before it is too late to manage
- Bali HK, Jain S, Jain A, Sharma BK. Percutaneous angioplasty and stent placement in Takayasu arteritis.Int J Cardiol 1998; 66 (suppl): S 213–217. CrossRef
- Tyagi S, Kaul UA, Arora R. Endovascular stenting for unsuccessful angioplasty of the aorta in aortoarteritis. Cardiovasc Intervent.Radiology 1999; 22(6): 452–456.
- Joseph S, Mandalam KR, Rao VR, Gupta AK, Unni MN, Rao ASet al. Percutaneous transluminal angioplasty of subclavian artery in non-specific aortoarterits: Results of long term follow up.J Vasc Interv Radiol 1994; 5(4) : 573–580. CrossRef
- Tyagi S, Gambir DS, Kaul UA, Verma P, Arora R. A decade of subclavian angioplasty: aortoarterits versus atherosclerosis.Indian Heart J 1996; 48(6) : 667–671.
- Rao SA, Mandalam KR, Rao VR, Gupta AK, Joseph S, Unni MNet al. Takayasu arteritis. Initial and long term follow up in 16 patients after percutaneous transluminal angioplasty of descending thoracic and abdominal aorta.Radiology 1993; 189 (1): 173–179.
- Tyagi S, Kaul UA, Nair M Sethi KK, Arora R, Khalilullah M. Balloon angioplasty of aorta in Takayasu’s arteritis; initial and long term results.Am Heart J 1992;124: 876–882. CrossRef
- Sharma S, Bahl VK, Saxena A, Kothari SS, Talwar KK, Rajani M. Stenosis in the aorta caused by non-specific aortitis: results of treatment by percutaneous stent placement.Clin Radiol 1999; 54(1): 46–50. CrossRef
- Tyagi S, Singh B, Kaul UA, Sethi KK, Arora R, Khalilullah M. Balloon angioplasty for renovascular hypertension in Takayasu’s arteritis.Am Heart J 1993; 125:1386–1393. CrossRef
- Tyagi S, Kaul UA, Satsangi DK, Arora R. Percutaneous transluminal angioplasty for renovascular hypertension in children: initial and long term results.Pediatrics 1997; 99: 44–49. CrossRef
- Panja M, Sarcar C, Kar AKet al. Coronary artery lesions in Takayasu’s arteritis-clinical and angiographic study.JAPI 1998; 46: 678–681.
- Kinare S, Gandhi M, Deshpande J, eds.Non-specific Aortoarteritis (Takayasu’s Disease), Pathology and Radiology, Page 37. Ist edn. 1998. Quest Publications.
- Morales F, Pineda C, Mortinez LM. Takayasu’s arteritis in children.J Rheumatology 1991; 18:1081–1084.
- Saxena A, Kothari SS, Sharma S, Juneja R, Srivastava S. Percutaneous transluminal angioplasty of the aorta in children with nonspecific aortoarteritis: acute and follow-up results with special emphasis on left ventricular function.Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2000; 49(4): 419–424. CrossRef
- Recent advances in the management of non-specific aorto-arteritis
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 69, Issue 6 , pp 523-526
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Non specific aortoarteritis
- Percutaneous transluminal balloon angioplasty (PTBA)
- Endovascular stents
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Pediatric Cardiologist, Sri Jayadeva Institute of Cardiology, Bangalore, Karnataka