The impact of selected environmental forces upon consumers' willingness to buy foreign products
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The purpose of this study was to measure the effects of foreign economic, political, and cultural environments on American consumers' willingness to buy foreign products. Results of a self-administered mail questionnaire revealed that respondents were most willing to buy products from economically developed free countries with a European, Australian, or New Zealand culture.
- Anderson, Virgil L., and McLean, Robert A. 1974.Design of Experiments: A Real Approach. New York: Marcel Dekker, Inc.
- Armstrong, J. Scott, and Overton, Terry S. 1977. “Estimating Nonresponse Bias in Mail Surveys,”Journal of Marketing Research, 14 (August), 396–402. CrossRef
- Crawford, John C. 1981. “The Effect of Foreign Environmental Factors on Industrial Buyers' Willingness to Buy Foreign Products”, unpublished doctoral dissertation, Texas A&M University.
- Gastil, Raymond D. 1977. “The Comparative Survey of Freedom-Vii”,Freedom at Issue”, (January–February).
- Harrell, Gilbert D. and Kiefer, Richard O. 1981. “Multinational Strategic Market Portfolios”,MSU Business Topics,29 (Winter), 5–16.
- Howe, James W., and the Staff of the Overseas Development Council, 1974.The U.S. and the Developing World: Agenda for Action, 1974. New York: Praeger.
- James, Preston E. 1976. “World View of Major Culture Regions”, inWorld Regional Geography: A Problem Approach, Fred E. Dohis and Lawrence M. Sommers, eds., New York: West Publishing Company.
- Keegan, Warren J. 1980.Multinational Marketing Management, Prentice-Hall, Inc.
- Kerlinger, Fred N. 1973.Foundation of Behavior Research, New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, Inc.
- Lillis, Charles M. and Narayama, Chem L. 1974. “Analysis of ‘Made In’ Product Images—An Exploratory Study,”Journal of International Business Studies, 5 (Spring), 119–127. CrossRef
- Nagashima, Akira. 1970. “A Comparison of Japanese and U.S. Attitudes Toward Foreign Product,”Journal of Marketing, 34 (January), 68–74. CrossRef
- —. 1977. “A Comparative ‘Made In’ Product Image Survey Among Japanese Businessmen,”Journal of Marketing, 41 (July), 95–100. CrossRef
- Pace, C. Robert. 1939. “Factors Influencing Questionnaire Returns from Former University Students,”Journal of Applied Psychology, 23 (June), 388–397. CrossRef
- Rierson, Curtis. 1966. “Are Foreign Products Seen As National Stereotypes?”Journal of Retailing (Fall), 35–40.
- —. 1967. “Attitudes Change Toward Foreign Products,”Journal of Marketing, 37 (April), 14–23.
- Sands, Saul. (1979). “Can You Standardize International Marketing Strategy?”Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 7 (Winter, Spring), 117–134. CrossRef
- Schooler, Robert and Wildt Albert R. (1968), “Elasticity of Product Bias,”Journal of Marketing Research, 9 (February), 78–81. CrossRef
- —. 1965. “Product Bias in the Central American Common Market,”Journal of Marketing Research, 4 (November), 394–397. CrossRef
- —. and Sunoo, Don H. 1969. “Consumer Perceptions of International Products: Regional vs. National Labeling,”Social Science Quarterly, (March), 886–890.
- Schleifer, S. and Dunn, S. 1968. “Relative Effectiveness of Advertisements of Foreign and Domestic Origins”Journal of Marketing Research, No. 9 (August), 296–299. CrossRef
- Wang, Chih-Kang, and Lamb, Charles W. 1980. “Foreign Environmental Factors Influencing American Consumers' Predispositions Toward European Products,”Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 8 (Fall), 345–356. CrossRef
- White, Philip D. and Cundiff, Edward W. 1978. “Assessing the Quality of Industrial Products,”Journal of Marketing, 42 (No. 1), 80–86. CrossRef
- Wind, Yoram, Douglas, Susan and Perlmutter, Howard V. 1973. “Guidelines for Developing International Marketing Strategies”,Journal of Marketing, 37 (April), 14–23. CrossRef
- The impact of selected environmental forces upon consumers' willingness to buy foreign products
Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science
Volume 11, Issue 1-2 , pp 71-84
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors