Institutional confidence and democratic consolidation in Latin America
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Citizen confidence in the institutions of their nations is critical to democratic consolidation in Latin America. The data provided by the Latinobarómetro survey in 1995 mark the beginning of significant empirical investigation in this realm. While longitudinal comparisons are not yet possible, institutional confidence for the major countries as of 1995 can be probed. This study considers three levels of generality: the comparative study of institutions in the region; patterns of confidence related to political culture; and the degree of political learning derived from the repressive dictatorships of the 1970s and 1980s.
- ALMOND, GABRIEL A., AND SIDNEY VERBA 1963The civic culture: Political attitudes and democracy in five nations. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- ALVAREZ, MIKE, JOSE ANTONIO CHEIBUB, FERNANDO LIMONGI, AND ADAM PRZEWORSKI 1996 Classifying political regimes.Studies in Comparative International Development 31, 2: 3–36.
- ANDERSON, CHRISTOPHER J., AND CHRISTINE A. GUILLORY 1997 Political institutions and satisfaction with democracy: A cross-national analysis of consensus and majoritarian systems.American Political Science Review 91.
- BALOYRA, ENRIQUE A., AND JOHN D. MARTZ 1976Political attitudes in Venezuela: Societal cleavages and political opinion. Austin: University of Texas Press.
- BERMEO, NANCY 1992 Democracy and the lessons of dictatorship.Comparative Politics 24.
- CONAGHAN, CATHERINE M. 1995 Polls, political discourse, and the public sphere: The spin on Peru’s Fuji-golpe. InLatin America in comparative perspective: New approaches to methods and analysis, edited by Peter H. Smith. Boulder: Westview Press.
- FUCHS, DIETER, GIOVANNA GIUDOROSSI, AND PALLE SVENSSON 1995 Support for the democratic system. InCitizens and the state, edited by Hans-Dieter Klingemann and Dieter Fuchs. New York: Oxford University Press.
- HARTZ, LOUIS 1964The founding of new societies: Studies in the history of the United States, Latin America, South Africa, Canada, and Australia. New York: Harcourt, Brace & World, Inc.
- KOELBLE, THOMAS A. 1995 The new institutionalism in political science and sociology.Comparative Politics 27.
- LAGOS, MARTA 1996 The latinobarómetro: Media and political attitudes in South America. Paper read at the annual meeting of the American Political Science Association, August 29–September 1, San Francisco, California.
- LANE, RUTH 1992 Political culture: residual category or general theory?Comparative Political Studies 25.
- LIJPHART, AREND, AND CARLOS H. WAISMAN, EDS. 1996Institutional design in new democracies: Eastern Europe and Latin America. Boulder: Westview Press.
- LINZ, JUAN 1988 Legitimacy of democracy and the socioeconomic system. InComparing pluralist democracies. Strains on legitimacy, edited by Mattei Dogan. Boulder: Westview Press.
- LISTHAUG, OLA, AND MATTI WIBERG 1995 Confidence in political and private institutions. InCitizens and the state, edited by Hans-Dieter Klingemann and Dieter Fuchs. New York: Oxford University Press.
- MARCH, JAMES G., AND JOHAN P. OLSEN 1989Rediscovering institutions: The organizational basis of politics. New York: The Free Press.
- MARTZ, JOHN D. 1996 Economic challenges and the study of democratization.Studies in Comparative International Development 31, 1:96–120.
- MARTZ, JOHN D. 1997 Toward the reconstruction of democracy.Studies in Comparative International Development, 32, 2.
- MYERS, DAVID J. AND JOHN D. MARTZ 1997 Political culture theory and the role of professionals: Data from Venezuela.Comparative Political Studies 30.
- NEILSON, JAMES 1997 La Argentina acorralada.Noticias Año 20, No. 1049.
- PUTNAM, ROBERT D., ROBERT LEONARDI, AND RAFFAELLA Y. NANETTI 1988 Institutional performance and political culture: Some puzzles about the power of the past.Governance. An International Journal of Policy and Administration 1.
- PRZEWORSKI, ADAM, AND OTHERS 1995Sustainable democracy. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- PRZEWORSKI, ADAM, MICHAEL ALVAREZ, JOSE ANTONIO CHEIBUB, AND FERNANDO LIMONGI 1996 What makes democracy endure?Journal of Democracy 7.
- SIGMUND, PAUL E. 1994 Christian democracy, liberation theology, and political culture in Latin America. InPolitical culture and democracy in developing countries, edited by Larry Diamond. Boulder: Lynne Rienner Publishers.
- STRASSER, CARLOS 1995Democracia III: La última democracia. Buenos Aires: Editorial Sudamericana, Universidad de San Andrés.
- TORRE, JUAN CARLOS 1993 The politics of economic crisis in Latin America.Journal of Democracy 4.
- TURNER, FREDERICK C. 1995 Reassessing political culture. InLatin America in comparative perspective: New approaches to methods and analysis, edited by Peter H. Smith. Boulder: Westview Press.
- TURNER, FREDERICK C., ENRIQUE ZULETA PUCEIRO, AND CARLOS R. MIRANDA 1988 El Justicialismo en las provincias. InRacionalidad del peronismo: Perspectivas internas y externas que replantean un debate inconcluso, edited by José Enrique Miguens and Frederick C. Turner. Buenos Aires: Grupo Editorial Planeta.
- Institutional confidence and democratic consolidation in Latin America
Studies in Comparative International Development
Volume 32, Issue 3 , pp 65-84
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links