The effects of police surveillance and law enforcement on driver behaviour
- Talib Rothengatter
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Police surveillance and enforcement activities can have a significant effect on the compliance of traffic rules and regulations. The extent to which road users are influenced by traffic law enforcement depends on the strategies used in police surveillance and on the efficiency of the punitive system. Although police surveillance can have limited and transient effects, the punitive system does not seem able to cope with the demands of the traffic system. Alternative approaches to traffic behaviour control are suggested that could have far greater impact on the behaviour of road users.
- Ben-David, G., Lewin, I. & Haliva, Y. (1970). The influence of advisory letters in changing the driver behaviour of private motorists in Israel. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 2, 189–210. CrossRef
- Ben-David, G., Lewin, I., Haliva, Y. & Tel-Nir, N. (1972). The influence of personal communication on the driving behaviour of private motorists in Israel. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 4, 269–301. CrossRef
- Brown, I.D. & Copeman, A.K. (1975). Drivers’ attitudes to the seriousness of road traffic offences considered in relation to the design of sanctions. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 7, 15–26. CrossRef
- Campbell, B.J. (1959). The effects of driver improvement actions on driver behaviour. Traffic Safety Research Review, 3.
- Carr, A.F., Schnelle, J.F. & Kirchner, R.E. (1980). Police crackdown and slowdowns: a naturalistic evaluation of changes in police traffic enforcement. Behavioral Assessment, 2, 33–41.
- Cook, T.D. & Campbell, D.T. (1979). Quasi-experimentation: Design and Analysis Issues in Field Settings. Chicago, IL: Rand McNally.
- Cooper, D.F. & McDowell, M.R.C. (1977). Police effects on accident risk at T-junctions. Traffic Engineering and Control, 18, 486–491.
- Elliot, J.R. & Wright, C.C. (1982). The collapse of parking enforcement in large towns: some causes and solutions. Traffic Engineering and Control, 23, 304–310.
- Elman, D. & Killebren, T.J. (1978). Incentives and seat-belts; changing a resistant behavior through extrinsic motivation. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 8, 72–83. CrossRef
- Galizio, M., Jackson, L.A. & Steele, F.O. (1979). Enforcement symbols and driving speed: the overreaction effect. Journal of Applied Psychology, 64, 311–315. CrossRef
- Griffiths, R., Davies, R.F., Henderson, R. & Shepperd, D. (1980). Incidence and effects of police action on motoring offences as described by drivers. Crowthorne: Transport and Road Research Laboratory, SR 543.
- Hashimoto, A. (1979). Measuring the effect of police surveillance on the prevention of traffic accidents. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 11, 261–270. CrossRef
- Hauer, E. & Ahlin, F.J. (1979). The effect of speed enforcement on driver speed choice. Toronto: University of Toronto, Department of Civil Engineering.
- Hauer, E. & Cooper, P.J. (1977). Effectiveness of selective enforcement in reducing accidents in metropolitan Toronto. Washington, DC: Transportation Research Record, 643.
- Hauer, E., Ahlin, F.J. & Bowser, J.S. (1981). Speed enforcement and speed choice. Dublin: An Foras Forbatha.
- Hogg, R. (1977). A study of male motorists’ attitudes to speed restrictions and their enforcement. Crowthorne: Transport and Road Research Laboratory, SR 276.
- Lund, H.V., Brodersen, F. & Jørgensen, N.O. (1977). Trafikantadfaerd under skaerpet politiovervagning. Copenhagen: Radet for Trafiksikkerhedsforskning, Rapport 19.
- McBride, R.S. & Peck, R.C. (1970). Modifying negligent driving behaviour through warning letters. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 2, 147–174. CrossRef
- Mulders, H.P.G. (1981). Rood licht negatie van voetgangers op geregelde oversteekplaatsen. Groningen: University of Groningen, Traffic Research Centre Report, VK 81-03.
- Murdoch, P.A. & Wilde, G.J.S. (1979). Reward and punishment in driver control. Kingston, Ontario: Queen’s University.
- National Safety Council (1979). Accident cause estimates. Traffic Safety Research Review, 23, 11.
- Nilsson, E. & Sjögren, O. (1981). Relationships between enforcement, traffic speeds and traffic accidents. Dublin: An Foras Forbatha.
- O’Brien, J.P. (1980). Concentrated traffic enforcement program Illinois State Police, evaluation of second year. Springfield, IL: Department of Transportation.
- O’Brien, J.P. (1981). Concentrated traffic enforcement program Illinois State Police, evaluation of third-year project. Springfield, IL: Department of Transportation.
- OECD (1974). Research on traffic law enforcement: effects of the enforcement of legislation on road user behaviour and traffic accidents. Paris: Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.
- Rothengatter, J.A. (1981). Traffic Safety Education for Young Children: An Empirical Approach. Lisse: Swets Publishing.
- Schneider, W. & Shiffrin, R.M. (1977). Controlled and automatic human information processing: detection, search and attention. Psychological Review, 84, 1–66. CrossRef
- Steenhuis, D.W. (1977). Eine Untersuchung über den generalpräventiven Effekt der Strafzumessung bei Trunkenkeit am Steur. Hannover: Informationen und Mitteilungen BDP, 14–31.
- Syvänen, M. (1968). Effects of police supervision on the perception of traffic signs and driving habits. Helsinki: Central Organization for Traffic Safety, Report 6.
- SWOV (1978). Adviezen m.b.t. een meetprogramma voor snelheden buiten de bebouwde kom. Voorburg: Stichting Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek Verkeersveiligheid.
- United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (1981). Statistics of road traffic accidents in Europe, volume XXVII — 1980. New York: United Nations.
- Van Houten, R. & Nau, P.A. (1981). A comparison of the effects of posted feedback and increased police surveillance on highway speeding. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 14, 261–272. CrossRef
- The effects of police surveillance and law enforcement on driver behaviour
Current Psychological Reviews
Volume 2, Issue 3 , pp 349-358
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Traffic Research Centre, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands