Structural determination and uses of jojoba oil
- Thomas K. Miwa
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The predominating molecular species in jojoba oil iscis-13-docosenylcis-11-eicosenoate (erucyl jojobenoate), ranging from 31% to 45% of the extracted seed oil. Other alcohol/acid combinations contribute to the C42 molecular chain length so that this fraction constitutes a low of 41% to a high of 57% of the total wax esters. The positions of the exclusivelycis ethylenic bonds in the alcohol and acid moieties of the wax esters are 99% ω-9 and 1% ω-7. Only 2% of the alcohol and acid moieties were saturated when analyzed after saponification of the oil. Triglycerides were detected by gas chromatography in all of the more than 200 natural jojoba oil samples tested, a few of which had substantially more than the normal 1%. Among the many uses of jojoba oil cited here, the two most promising are the sulfurized oil as extreme-pressure/extreme-temperature lubricant additive and the natural or refined oil formulated into cosmetic products.
- Greene, R.A., and E.O. Foster, Bot. Gaz. 94:826 (1933). CrossRef
- Green, T.G., T.P. Hilditch and W.J. Stainsby, J. Chem. Soc. 1936:1750.
- Mirov, N.T., Chemurg. Dig. 9:7 (1950).
- Daugherty, P.M., H.H. Sineath and T.A. Wastler, Ga. Inst. Technol., Eng. Exp. Stn. Bull. No. 17 (1953).
- Gentry, H.S., Econ. Bot. 12:261 (1958).
- Yermanos, D.M., A. Kadish, C.M. McKell and J.R. Goodin, Calif. Agric. 22:2 (1968).
- Crosswhite, F.S., Studies ofSimmondsia chinensis at the Boyce Thompson Southwestern Arboretum, University of Arizona Press, 1973.
- Hogan, L., Crops Soils Mag. Nov., p. 14 (1978).
- Thomson, P.H., Jojoba Handbook, Bonsall Publications, 1978, pp. 57–156.
- Miwa, T.K., JAOCS 48:259 (1971). CrossRef
- Miwa, T.K., Proc. 2nd Int. Conf. on Jojoba and Its Uses, Ensenada, Mexico, February 10–12, 1976, edited by T.K. Miwa and X. Murrieta, pp. 187–274.
- Spencer, G.F., R.D. Plattner and R.G. Powell, J. Chromatogr. 20:335 (1976).
- Kleiman, R., G.F. Spencer, F.R. Earle and I.A. Wolff, Lipids 4:135 (1969). CrossRef
- Miwa, T.K., Cosmet. Perfum. 88:39 (1973).
- Taguchi, M., and T. Kunimoto, Jojoba 1:56 (1980).
- Miwa, T.K., J.A. Rothfus and E. Dimitroff, JAOCS 56:765 (1979). CrossRef
- Miwa, T.K., and J.A. Rothfus, Jojoba 1:35 (1980).
- Miwa, T.K., Ibid. 12.
- Structural determination and uses of jojoba oil
Journal of the American Oil Chemists’ Society
Volume 61, Issue 2 , pp 407-410
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Thomas K. Miwa (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. The Jojoba Society of America, 2086 East La Jolla Drive, 85282, Tempe, AZ