Convergence correction in colloid scattering
- S. Subramanian
- … show all 1 hide
The error introduced in depolarisation measurements due to the convergence of the incident beam has been investigated theoretically as well as experimentally for the case of colloid scattering, where the particles are not small compared to the wavelength of light. Assuming the scattering particles to be anisotropic rods, it is shown that, when the incident unpolarised light is condensed by means of a lens with a circular aperture, the observed depolarisation ratio ϱ u is given by ϱ u = ϱ u0 + 5/3 θ2 where ϱ u0 is the true depolarisation for incident parallel light, and θ the semi-angle of convergence. Appropriate formulae are derived when the incident beam is polarised vertically and horizontally. Experiments performed on six typical colloids support the theoretical conclusions. Other immediate consequences of the theory are also discussed.
- Ananthakrishnan, R., Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci. A2, 133 (1935).
- Cabannes, J., Ann. de Phys.15, 113 (1921).
- Gans, R., Physik Z.28, 661 (1927).
- Ramanathan, K. R. andN. G. Srinivasan, Phil. Mag.1, 493 (1926).
- Rao, I. R., Indian J. Phys.2, 72 (1927).
- Rocard, Y., Compt. Rend.182, 690 (1926).
- Vijaraghavan, K. andR. S. Krishnan, J. Indian. Inst. Sci.36A, 1 (1954).
- Horn, P., Ann. de Phys.10, 386 (1955).
- Krishnan, R. S., Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci. A5, 499 (1937).
- Sivarajan, S. R., Thesis (1954).
- Convergence correction in colloid scattering
Kolloid-Zeitschrift und Zeitschrift für Polymere
Volume 183, Issue 2 , pp 146-152
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- S. Subramanian (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Physics, Indian Institute of Science, 12, Bangalore, India