Ethnomathematics as a fundamental of instructional methodology
- Lawrence Shirley Dr.
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Over the past two or three decades, various political, cultural, and educational forces have brought ethnomathematics and multiculturalism in general into widespread use. Thus, it is important to include ethnomathematical studies in teaching methodology and especially teacher education programs.
In den letzten 20–30 Jahren haben verschiedene Kräfte aus Politik, Kultur sowie Bildung und Eiziehung für eine weitverbreitete Nutzung ethnomathematischer und multikultureller Ideen gesorgt. Es ist von daher wichtig, Ethnomathematik in den Unterricht und insbesondere in Lehrebildungsprogramme zu integrieren.
- Ascher, M. (1991): Ethnomathematics: a multicultural view of mathematical ideas.—Pacific Grove, California: Brooks-Cole Publishing Company.
- Bishop, A.J. (1988): Mathematical enculturation: A cultural perspective on mathematics education.—Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Boyer, C.B.; Merzbach, U.C. (1989): A history of mathematics (2nd edition).—New York: Wiley
- Building bridges to mathematics: Cultural connections (1992): [activity cards and wall chart].—Reading, Massachusetts: Addison-Wesley
- Burke, Maurice J. (Ed.) (2000): Learning mathematics for a new century (2000 Yearbook).—Reston, Virginia: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- Cooney, T. J. (Ed.) (1990): Teaching and learning mathematics in the 1990s (1990 Yearbook).—Reston. Virginia: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
- D'Ambrosio, U. (1984): Socio-cultural basis of mathematics education.—Plenary address at the Fifth International Congress on Mathematical Education, Adelaide (Australia), August 24–30, 1984.
- Eglash, R. (1999): African ficatals: modern computing and indigenous design.—Rutgers, New Jersey: Rutgers University Press
- Gerdes, P. (1988): On culture, geometrical thinking and mathematics education.—In: Educational Studies in Mathematics Vol. 19, No. 3, p. 137–162.
- House, P.A. (editor) (1995). Connecting mathematics across the curriculum (1995 Yearbook).—Reston, Virginia: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- Irons, C.; Bunett, J.; Hoo Foon, S.W. (1993): Mathematics from many cultures (a Big Book).—San Francisco: Mimosa Publications
- Joseph, G.C. (1992): The crest of the peacock: Non-European roots of mathematics.—London: Penguin
- Katz, V. (1998): A history of mathematics: An introduction (2nd ed).—Reading, Massachusetts: Addison-Wesley
- Masingila, J.O. (1995): Carpet laying: An illustration of everyday mathematics.—In: P.A. House, (Ed.), Connecting mathematics across the curriculum, (1995 Yearbook). Reston, Virginia: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (1989): Curriculum and evaluation standards for school mathematics. —Reston, Virginia: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (1991). Professional standards for teaching mathematics.—Reston, Virginia: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (2000): Principles and standards for school mathematics.—Reston, Virginia: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- National Research Council (Mathematical Sciences Education Board, Board on Mathematical Science, Committee on the Mathematical Science in the Year 2000) (1989): Everybody counts.—Washington DC: National Academy Press
- Nelson, D.; Joseph, G.G.; Williams, J. (1993): Multicultural mathematics.—Oxford: Oxford University Press
- Powell, A.B.; Frankenstein, M. (Eds.) (1997): Ethnomathematics: Challenging Eurocentrism in mathematics education. —Albany, New York: State University of New York Press
- Presmeg, N. (1998): Ethnomathematics in teacher education.— In: Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education Vol. 1, No. 3, p. 317–39
- Shirley, L. (1995): Using ethnomathematics to find multicultural mathematical connections.—In: P.A. House (Ed.), Connecting mathematics across the curriculum (1995 Yearbook). Reston, Virginia: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- Shirley, Lawrence (1998): Ethnomathematics in teacher education.—Paper presented at the First International Congress on Ethnomathematics, Granada (Spain), September 2–5, 1998
- Swienciki, L.W. (1981): Multicultural classroom posters.—San Jose, California: Educational Materials.
- Trentacosta, J. (Ed.) (1997): Multicultural and gender equity in the mathematics classroom: The gift of diversity (1997 Yearbook).—Reston, Virginia: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
- Zaslavsky, C. (1973): Africa counts: number and pattern in African culture.—Boston: Prindle: Weber & Schmidt
- Zaslavsky, C. (1993): Multicultural mathematics: Interdisciplinary cooperative-learning activities.—Portland, Maine: J. Weston Walch
- Zaslavsky, C. (1996): The multicultural math classroom Bringing in the world.—Portsmouth, New Hampshire: Heinemann.
- Ethnomathematics as a fundamental of instructional methodology
Volume 33, Issue 3 , pp 85-87
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Mathematics Department, Towson University, 8000 York Road, 21252-0001, Towson, MD, USA