Performance analysis of the aluminum casting furnace
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The casting furnace plays a central role in the production of aluminum. Its design and operation are complex and involve some 450 parameters. There is a need for a model to predict and analyze its performance. We propose a simplified model in which each main component of the furnace is treated as a 1-D heat conduction medium. Based on the equations of conservation of mass, energy, and chemical species, complemented by the equations of conduction and the Hottel’s formulation of radiative heat transfer, this dynamic model can simulate any sequence of operations such as loading, heating, stirring, skimming … that constitutes a batch, and can take into account other operational details such as the opening of doors. It is validated on a real furnace, then used to predict furnace performance in other modes of operation, and also to determine an optimal fuel flow that minimizes a chosen cost function.
- J. Perron, R. T. Bui, A. Charette, W. Stevens, and E. Dernedde:Light Metals, 1987, pp. 821–25.
- E. E. Khalil:Modelling of Furnaces and Combustors, Abacus Press, Turnbridge Wells, Kent, U.K., 1982, p. 9.
- Ho Yu:Light Metals, 1980, pp. 555–73.
- M. C. Mangalick:Energy Use and Conservation in the Metals Industry, Proceedings of the 104th AIME Annual Meeting, New York, NY, 1975, pp. 101–20.
- J. J. Wiesner:Light Metal Age, 1980, pp. 11–13.
- J. S. West:Extrusion Productivity through Automation, the Aluminum Association, Atlanta, GA, April 1984, vol. 2, no. 24–26, pp. 227–33.
- J. J. Wiesner:Aluminum Industry Energy Conservation Workshop VII, the Aluminum Association, Washington, DC, June 1983, pp. 311–25.
- H. C. Hottel and A. F. Sarofim:Radiative Transfer, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, 1967, pp. 159–70 and pp. 467–68.
- H. C. Hottel, A. F. Sarofim, and I. H. Farag:Combustion Technology, H. B. Palmer and J. M. Beer, eds., Academic Press, New York, NY, 1974, pp. 200–01.
- Y. S. Touloukian and D. D. Dewitt:Thermal Radiative Properties, IFI/Plenum, New York, NY, 1970, p. 2.
- M. A. Thibault: private communication, Alcan International Ltd., Jonquière, Quebec, Canada, 1986.
- H. Taborin:Revue de l’Aluminium, 1976, no. 457, pp. 572–84.
- Performance analysis of the aluminum casting furnace
Metallurgical Transactions B
Volume 19, Issue 2 , pp 171-180
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors