Microstructural control in hot working of IN-718 superalloy using processing map
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The hot-working characteristics of IN-718 are studied in the temperature range 900 °C to 1200 °C and strain rate range 0.001 to 100 s−1 using hot compression tests. Processing maps for hot working are developed on the basis of the strain-rate sensitivity variations with temperature and strain rate and interpreted using a dynamic materials model. The map exhibits two domains of dynamic recrystallization (DRX): one occurring at 950 °C and 0.001 s−1 with an efficiency of power dissipation of 37 pct and the other at 1200 °C and 0.1 s−1 with an efficiency of 40 pct. Dynamic recrystallization in the former domain is nucleated by the δ(Ni3Nb) precipitates and results in fine-grained microstructure. In the high-temperature DRX domain, carbides dissolve in the matrix and make interstitial carbon atoms available for increasing the rate of dislocation generation for DRX nucleation. It is recommended that IN-718 may be hot-forged initially at 1200 °C and 0.1 s−1 and finish-forged at 950 °C and 0.001 s−1 so that fine-grained structure may be achieved. The available forging practice validates these results from processing maps. At temperatures lower than 1000 °C and strain rates higher than 1 s−1 the material exhibits adiabatic shear bands. Also, at temperatures higher than 1150°C and strain rates more than 1s−1, IN-718 exhibits intercrystalline cracking. Both these regimes may be avoided in hotworking IN-718.
- Metallurgy and Applications of Superalloy 718, Edward A. Loria, ed., TMS-AIME, Warrendale, PA, 1989.
- Marsh, A.E. (1982) Metallurgia 49: pp. 10-20
- Bailey, R.E. (1969) Report No. SP-69-9. Allegheny Ludlum Steel Research Center, Brackenridge, PA
- P.K. Chaudhury, J.J. Valencia, and D. Zhao:Materials Week ’92, ASM and TMS, Chicago, IL, p. 65 (Abstract).
- Prasad, Y.V.R.K., Gegel, H.L., Doraivelu, S.M., Malas, J.C., Morgan, J.T., Lark, K.A., Barker, D.R. (1984) Metall. Trans. A 15A: pp. 1883-92
- Gegel, H.L., Malas, J.C., Doraivelu, S.M., Shende, V.A. (1987) Metals Handbook. ASM, Metals Park, OH
- Alexander, J.M. (1989) Modelling of Hot Deformation of Steels. Springer-Verlag, Berlin
- Ziegler, H. (1963) Progress in Solid Mechanics. John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY
- Kumar, A.K.S. Kalyan (1987) Master’s Thesis. Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- Prasad, Y.V.R.K. (1990) Ind. J. Technol. 28: pp. 435-51
- Sims, C.T., Hagel, W.C. (1972) The Superalloy. Wiley-Interscience Publishing, New York, NY
- Raj, R. (1981) Metall. Trans. A 12A: pp. 1089-97
- Srinivasan, N., Prasad, Y.V.R.K. (1992) Mater. Sci. Technol. 8: pp. 206-12
- Srinivasan, N., Prasad, Y.V.R.K. (1994) J. Mater. Process. Technol. 41: pp. 409-24 CrossRef
- Luton, M.J., Seilars, CM. (1969) Acta Metall. 17: pp. 1033-43 CrossRef
- McQueen, H.J., Jonas, J.J. (1975) Treatise Mater. Sci. Technol. 6: pp. 393-493
- Howson, T.E., Couts, W.J. (1989) Metallurgy and Applications-Superalloy 718. TMS-AIME, Warrandale, PA
- Mosser, P.E., Leconte, G., Leray, J., Lasalmonie, A., Honnarat, Y. (1989) Metallurgy and Applications-Superalloy 718. TMS-AIME, Warrandale, PA
- N. Srinivasan and Y.V.R.K. Prasad:Mater. Sci. Technol., in press.
- Ueki, M., Horie, S., Nakamura, T. (1987) Mater. Sci. Technol. 3: pp. 329-37
- Shetty, M.N., Laha, A.K. (1986) Z. Metallkd. 6: pp. 397-402
- N. Srinivasan and Y.V.R.K. Prasad: Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, unpublished research, 1993.
- Beeston, B.E.P., France, L.K. (1968) J. Inst. Met. 96: pp. 105-07
- Suto, K. Monma; H., Oikama, H. (1964) J. Jpn. Inst. Met. 28: pp. 188-96
- Pruthi, D.D., Anand, M.S., Agarwala, R.P. (1977) J. Nucl. Mater. 64: pp. 206-10 CrossRef
- Tegart, W. J. M. (1968) Ductility. ASM, Metals Park, OH
- Wilkinson, W.A. (1989) Metallurgy and Applications—Superalloy 718. TMS-AIME, Warrandale, PA
- Microstructural control in hot working of IN-718 superalloy using processing map
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A
Volume 25, Issue 10 , pp 2275-2284
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors