Correlation of mechanical properties with nondestructive evaluation of babbitt metal/bronze composite interface
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Interfaces of the babbitt metal-bronze composite were examined ultrasonically and were fractured using the Chalmers test method. It was found that the ultrasonic results correlated with the bond strength, the ductility, and the degree of bonding at the tested interface. Specifically, high ultrasonic reflection percentages were associated with low bond strength, low ductility, and low percentages of bonded regions. The fracture mechanism in the bonded area of the babbitt-bronze interface is related to the presence of the intermetallic compound, Cu6Sn5, at the interface. It is suggested that the non-destructive ultrasonic technique can detect the bond integrity of babbitted metals.
- M. Rosen, L. Ives, S. Ridder, F. Biancaniello, and R. Mehrabian:Mat. Sci. Eng., 1985, vol. 74, pp. 1–10. CrossRef
- P. G. Sullivan and L. W. Davis:Nondestructive Evaluation and Flaw Criticality for Composite Materials, American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, PA, 1979, pp. 339–54.
- G. I. Antonov, A. V. Belik, G. V. Grigoryan, V. M. Zaitsev, G. N. Mulko, V. E. Pilguk, and D. A. Tursunov:Sov. J. Nondestr. Test., 1983, vol. 19, pp. 599–601.
- R.D. Stout and J.H. Koh:Weld. J., 1987, vol. 66, pp. 11–18.
- G. Mott and P.K. Liaw:Metall. Trans. A, 1988, vol. 19A, pp. 2233–46.
- L.M. Sheppard:Mater. Eng., May 1984, vol. 99, pp. 30–37.
- G. A. Alers, R. K. Elsley, and P. L. Flynn:Proceedings of the ARPAIAFML Review of Progress in Quantitative NDE, Air Force Materials Laboratory, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, OH, 1978, pp. 191–97, 365-70.
- T. J. Igielski, S.S. Blecherman, and J. E. Doherty: Report AD- Al 13803, Army Materials and Mechanics Research Center, Water- town, MA, March 1982.
- C.L. Carlson: Report 64-748-700-R1, Westinghouse R&D Center, Pittsburgh, PA, April 1964.
- B. Chalmers:J. Inst. Metals, 1942, vol. 68, pp. 253–56.
- T. Leax: private communication, Westinghouse R&D Center, Pitts- burgh, PA, 1987.
- M. Hansen:Constitution of Binary Alloys, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, NY, 1958, pp. 633–38.
- D. Frear, D. Grivas, and J.W. Morris, Jr.:J. Elect. Mater., 1987, vol. 16, pp. 181–86.
- P. L. Blum, J. Pelissier, and G. Silvestre:Solid State Tech., March 1973, vol. 16, pp. 55–58.
- Correlation of mechanical properties with nondestructive evaluation of babbitt metal/bronze composite interface
Metallurgical Transactions A
Volume 19, Issue 9 , pp 2215-2224
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors