Reproducibility and correlation study of three deoxyribonucleic acid hybridization procedures
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Reproducibility of relative binding ratios (RBR) was studied with 26 labeled DNA-unlabeled DNA hybridization reactions carried out at two temperatures (60 and 75°C) and following three procedures: the S1-nuclease method with precipitation of S1-resistant DNA by trichloroacetic acid (S1-TCA), the S1-nuclease method with adsorption of S1-resistant DNA onto DE81 filters (S1-DE81), and the hydroxyapatite (HA) method. Analyses of variance indicated that different hybridization methods give different RBR, but similar percent divirgence (ΔT m) results. A curvilinear relationship was found between RBR data obtained with S1-TCA and HA procedures at 60 or 75°C, and between 60°C RBR data obtained with S1-DE81 and HA procedures. At 75°C, RBR obtained with S1-DE81 and HA methods are comparable without any transformation of the data.
- Brenner, D. J. 1978. Characterization and clinical identification of Enterobacteriaceae by DNA hybridization. Progress in Clinical Pathology7:71–117.
- Brenner, D. J., Fanning, G. R., Rake, A. V., Johnson, K. E. 1969. Batch procedure for thermal elution of DNA from hydroxyapatite. Analytical Biochemistry28:447–459. CrossRef
- Brenner, D. J., Fanning, G. R., Skerman, F. J., Falkow, S. 1972. Polynucleotide sequence divergence among strains ofEscherichia coli and closely related organisms. Journal of Bacteriology109:953–965.
- Cooley, W. W., Lohnes, P. R. 1971. Multivariate data analysis. New York: Wiley.
- Crosa, J. H., Brenner, D. J., Falkow, S. 1973. Use of a singlestrand specific nuclease for analysis of bacterial and plasmid deoxyribonucleic acid homo- and heteroduplexes. Journal of Bacteriology115:904–911.
- De Ley, J., Cattoir, H., Reynaerts, A. 1970. The quantitative measurement of DNA hybridization from renaturation rates. European Journal of Biochemistry12:133–142. CrossRef
- Denhardt, D. T. 1966. A membrane-filter technique for the detection of complementary DNA. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications23:641–646. CrossRef
- Grimont, P. A. D., Grimont, F., Starr, M. P. 1978.Serratia proteamaculans (Paine and Stansfield) comb. nov., a senior subjective synonum ofSerratia liquefaciens (Grimes and Hennerty) Bascomb et al. International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology28:503–510.
- Grimont, P. A. D., Grimont, F., Starr, M. P. 1979.Serratia ficaria sp. nov., a bacterial species associated with Smyrna figs and the fig waspBlastophaga psenes. Current Microbiology2:277–282. CrossRef
- Johnson, P. H., Grossman, L. I. 1977. Electrophoresis of DNA in agarose gels. Optimizing separations of conformational isomers of double- and single-stranded DNAs. Biochemistry16:4217–4225. CrossRef
- Lachance, M. A. 1980. Simple method for determination of deoxyribonucleic acid relatedness by thermal elution in hydroxyapatite microcolumns. International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology30:433–436. CrossRef
- Maniatis, T., Jeffrey, A., Kleid, D. G. 1975. Nucleotide sequence of the rightward operator of phage. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America48:1390–1397.
- Maxwell, I. H., Van Ness, J., Hahn, W. E. 1978. Assay of DNA-RNA hybrids by S1 nuclease digestion and adsorption to DEAE-cellulose filters. Nucleic Acid Research5:2033–2038. CrossRef
- Popoff, M., Coynault, C. 1980. Use of DEAE-cellulose filters in the S1 nuclease method for bacterial deoxyribonucleic acid hybridization. Annales de Microbiologie131A:151–155.
- Ribgy, P. W. J., Dieckmann, M., Rhodes, C., Berg, P. 1977. Labeling deoxyribonucleic acid to high specific activityin vitro by nick translation with DNA polymerase I. Journal of Molecular Biology113:237–251. CrossRef
- Sneath, P. H. A., Collins, V. G. 1974. A study in test reproductibility between laboratories: Report of a Pseudomonas Working Party. Antonie van Leeuwenhoek Journal of Microbiology and Serology40:481–527. CrossRef
- Sneath, P. H. A., Johnson, R. 1972. The influence on numerical taxonomic similarities of errors in microbiological tests. Journal of General Microbiology72:377–392.
- Sokal, R. R., Rohlf, F. J. 1969. Biometry, the principles and practice of statistics in biological research. Ames, Iowa: Iowa State University Press.
- Steigerwalt, A. G., Fanning, G. R., Fife-Asbury, M. A., Brenner, D. J. 1976. DNA relatedness among species ofEnterobacter andSerratia. Canadian Journal of Microbiology22:121–137. CrossRef
- Vogt, V. N. 1973. Purification and further properties of single-strand-specific nuclease fromAspergillus oryzae. European Journal of Biochemistry33:192–200. CrossRef
- Reproducibility and correlation study of three deoxyribonucleic acid hybridization procedures
Volume 4, Issue 6 , pp 325-330
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors