Gigantic eruption of the volcano bezymianny
- G. S. Gorshkov
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Summarizing some numerical values for the eruption of Bezymianny we get the following results: total energy of the eruption — 2.2 × 1025 ergs, explosion energy on March 30th — 4 × 1023 ergs, volume of material ejected by the explosion — about 1.0 km3, its weight 2.4 × 109 t. Volume of agglomerate flow — about 1.8 km3, its weight — 4.3 × 109 t. Initial velocity of the explosion up to 500–600 m/sec. Initial pressure up to 3000 atm. All these figures characterize the eruption of Bezymianny as really gigantic.
The Bezymianny eruption, by its force, stands in one row with the eruptions of Krakatau, Katmai and Mt. Pelée. By its character, it is very close to Katami eruption.
A comparison of the eruptions of Bezymianny and Katmai permits, it seem to us, to establish some errors in conclusions regarding the formation of the Katmai agglomerate flow and the eruption of Katmai in general. Owing to lack of space and time I am not going to discuss this in detail here; in the near future I hope to make a special report devoted to this subject.
- Gorshkov, G. S., Bylinkina, A. A. (1954) The obscrvations of the Sheceluch volcano eruption in 1948–1950. Publ. Acad, Sci. USSR, Moscow
- Gorshkov, G. S. (1956) The eruption of Bezymianny volcano (preliminary report). Publ. Acad. Sci. USSR, Moscow
- Shebalin, N. V. —Earthquake energy, intensity and focal depth. Bull. Acad. Sci USSR, Geophys, ser., No 4, 1955. (In Russian).
- Minakami, T. —On explosive activities of andesitic volcanoes and their forerunning phenomena. Bull. Volc., Sér. II, tome X, Napoli, 1950.
- Perret, F. A. —The eruption of Mt. Pelée 1929–1932. Carnegie Inst. Washington, Publ. 458, 1935.
- Whipple —The great Siberian meteor and the waves, seismic and aerial which it produced. Quart. Journ. R. Meteorol. Soc., v. 56, No 236, 1930.
- Yamamoto, R. —The microbarographic oscillations produced by the explosions of hydrogen bombs. Weather, v. 10, No 10, 1955.
- Bull, G. A. andJames, D. G. —Dust in the stratosphere over western Britain on April 3 and 4, 1956. Meteorol. Mag. G. B., v. 85, No 1012, 1956.
- Gorshkov, G. S. (1957) Les éruptions géantes du volcan Bezymianny. Ass. Vole., Moscow
- Gigantic eruption of the volcano bezymianny
Volume 20, Issue 1 , pp 77-109
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors