Growth and reproductive parameters of bonnet monkey (Macaca radiata)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The present paper summarizes some of the important biological and physiological data recorded over a 30-year period on the biology of bonnet monkeys in captivity. Data on sexual maturity, menstrual cyclicity, general behaviour, endocrine profile, reproductive physiology, gestation, parturition, postpartum amenorrhoea in the female, and sexual maturity, hormone profile, and seasonal variation in sperm count of the male monkeys are presented. In addition to the biological values, weights of selected organs, vertebral and dental pattern are also presented. Menarche occurred at an age of 36±4 months and the first conception in the colony occurred at an age of 54±4 months. The average menstrual cycle length was 28±4.3 days. Majority of monkeys did not cycle regularly during March–June during which the temperature reached a peak. The pregnancy index of the colony was 80% with controlled breeding. The gestation period was 166±5 days with 6–7 months postpartum amenorrhoea. Males attained sexual maturity by the age of 6–7 years and exhibited the characteristic nocturnal surge of serum testosterone at this age and sperm concentration ranged from 116–799 millions/ejaculate.
- Arya, S. C. 1972. Quarantine of rhesus monkeys.Indian Anim. Prod., 3(3): 132–141.
- Atkinson, L. E.;Hotchkiss, J.;Fritz, G. R.;Surve, A. H.;Neill, J. D.;Knobil, E. 1975. Circulating levels of steroids and chorionic gonadotropins during pregnancy in the rhesus monkey, with special attention to the rescue of the corpus luteum in early pregnancy.Biol. Reprod., 12: 335–345. CrossRef
- Behboodi, E.;Katz, D. F.;Samuels, S. J.;Tell, L.;Hendrickx, A. G.;Lasley, B. L. 1991. The use of a urinary estrone conjugates assay for detection of optimal mating time in the cynomolgus macaque (Macaca fascicularis).J. Med. Primatol., 20: 229–234.
- Chakraborti, R.;Rao, A. J. 1987. An Avidin biotin microenzyme immunoassay for monkey chorionic gonadotropin.J. Reprod. Fertil., 80: 151. CrossRef
- Goodlin, B. L.;Sackett, G. P. 1983. Parturition inMacaca nemestrina.Amer. J. Primatol., 4: 283–307. CrossRef
- Kholkute, S. D.;Rachel Joseph;Usha, M.;Joshi, M.;Safiar Munshi. 1981. Some characteristics of normal menstrual cycle of the bonnet monkey (Macaca radiata).Primates, 22: 399–403. CrossRef
- Maneckjee, R.;Srinath, B. R.;Moudgal, N. R. 1976. Prolactin suppresses LH release during lactation in the monkey.Nature, 262: 507–508. CrossRef
- Mathialagan, N.;Jagannadha Rao, A. 1986. A plasma levels of gonadotropin releasing hormone during menstrual cycle ofMacaca radiata.J. Biosci., 10: 423.
- Matsubayashi, K. 1982. Comparison of the two methods of electroejaculation in the Japanese monkeys (Macaca fuscata).Exp. Anim., 31(1): 1–6.
- Moudgal, N. R. 1981. A need for FSH in maintaining fertility of adult male subhuman primates.Arch. Androl., 7: 117–125.
- Moudgal, N. R.;Murthy, G. S.;Ravindranath, N.;Rao, A. J.;Prasad, M. R. N. 1988. Development of a contraceptive vaccine for use by the human male: results of a feasibility study carried out in adult male bonnet monkeys (Macaca radiata). InProgress in Birth Control Vaccines,Talwar,G. P. (ed.), Springer Verlag, New York, pp. 253–258.
- Moudgal, N. R.;Rao, A. J.;Murthy, G. S. R. C.;Ravindranath, N.;Srinath, B. R.;Kotagi, S. G.;Anand Kumar, T. C. 1985. Effect of intranasal administration of norethisterone and progesterone on pituitary and gonadal function in adult male and female bonnet monkeys (Macaca radiata).Fertil. Steril., 44: 8–11.
- Mukku, V. R.;Murthy, G. S. R. C.;Srinath, B. R.;Ramasharma, K.;Kotagi, S. G.;Moudgal, N. R. 1981. Regulation of testosterone rhythmicity by gonadotropins in bonnet monkeys (Macaca radiata).Biol. Reprod., 2: 814–819. CrossRef
- Plant, T. M. 1982. A striking diurnal variation in plasma testosterone concentrations in infantile male rhesus monkeys (Macaca mulatta).Neuroendocrinology, 35: 370–373.
- Prahalada, S.;Mukku, V. R.;Rao, A. J.;Moudgal, N. R. 1975. Termination of pregnancy in macaques (Macaca radiata) using monkey antiserum to ovine luteinizing hormone.Contraception, 12: 137–147. CrossRef
- Rao, A. J.;Kotagi, S. G.;Moudgal, N. R. 1984. Serum concentrations of chorionic gonadotropin, oestradiol-17ß and progesterone during early pregnancy in the South Indian bonnet monkey (Macaca radiata).J. Reprod. Fertil., 70: 449–455. CrossRef
- Rao, A. J.;Ramesh, V.;Ramachandra, S. G.;Krishnamurthy, H. N.;Ravindranath, N.;Moudgal, N. R. 1997. Breeding of bonnet monkeys (Macaca radiata).Lab. Anim. Sci., 47(2): 180–183.
- Ravindranath, N.;Moudgal, N. R. 1990. Effect of a specific estrogen antibody on pregnancy establishment in the bonnet monkey (M. radiata).Fertil. Steril., 54(6): 1162–1167.
- Ravindranath, N.;Ramesh, V.;Krishnamurthy, H. N.;Rao, A. J.;Moudgal, N. R. 1992. Chronic suppression of testicular function by constant infusion of gonadotropin releasing hormone agonist and testosterone supplementation in the bonnet monkey (Macaca radiata).Fertil. Steril., 57: 671–676.
- Sandyamani, S. 1992. Vasculopathic and cardiomyopathic changes induced by low-protein high carbohydrate tapioca based diet in bonnet monkey: vasculopathic and cardiomyopathic changes in induced malnutrition.Amer. J. Cardiovasc Pathol. (United States), 4(1): 41–50.
- Sehgal, N.;Ravindranath, N.;Moudgal, N. R. 1991. Lack of immunotoxicological effects bonnet monkeys immunised with ovine follicle stimulating hormone. In:Perspectives in Primate Reproductive Biology,Moudgal,N. R.;Yoshinaga,K.;Rao,A. J.;Adiga,P. R. (eds.), Wiley Eastern, New Delhi, pp. 317–324.
- Shaikh, A. A.;Naqvi, R. H.;Shaikh, S. A. 1978. Concentrations of oestradiol 17ß and progesterone in the peripheral plasma of the cynomolgus monkey (Macaca fascicularis) in relation to the length of the menstrual cycle and its component phases.J. Endocrinol., 79: 1–7. CrossRef
- Srinath, B. R. 1980. Husbandry and breeding of bonnet monkeys (Macaca radiata). In:Non-human Primate Models for Study of Human Reproduction,Anandkumar,T. C. (ed.), Karger, Basel, pp. 17–21.
- Steiner, R. A.;Bremner, W. J. 1981. Endocrine correlates of sexual development in the male monkey,Macaca fascicularis.Endocrinology, 109: 914–919. CrossRef
- Wehrenberg, W. B.;Dyrenfurth, I. 1983. Photoperiod and ovulatory menstrual cycles in female macaque monkeys.J. Reprod. Fertil., 68: 119–122. CrossRef
- Weinbauer, G. E.;Surman, F. J.;Akhtar, F. B.;Shah, G. V.;Vickery, B. H.;Nieschlag, E. 1984. Reversible inhibition of testicular function by a gonadotropin hormone releasing hormone antogonist in monkeys (Macaca fascicularis).Fertil. Steril., 42: 111–126.
- Wickings, E. J.;Nieschlag, E. 1980. Seasonality in endocrine and exocrine testicular function of the adult male monkeys (Macaca mulatta) maintained in a controlled laboratory environment.Int. J. Androl., 3: 87–104.
- Williams, R. F.;Hodgen, G. D. 1982. The reproductive cycle in female macaques.Amer. J. Primatol. (suppl.), 1: 181–192. CrossRef
- Wilson, M. E.;Margaret, L.;Thomas, P. G. 1983. Consequences of first pregnancy in rhesus monkeys.Amer. J. Phys. Anthropol., 61: 103–110. CrossRef
- Growth and reproductive parameters of bonnet monkey (Macaca radiata)
Volume 39, Issue 1 , pp 97-107
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Bonnet monkey
- Endocrine physiology