High-fiber diet reduces bleeding and pain in patients with hemorrhoids
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
High-fiber diet in the treatment of symptomatic hemorrhoids in 51 patients was evaluated in a double-blind placebo-controlled trial. Bleeding and pain at defecation were significantly reduced during six weeks' treatment with Vi-Siblin® (P<0.025), and this effect was still recognizable three months later.
- Cummings JH, Southgate DA, Branch W, Houston H, Jenkins DJ, James WP. Colonic response to dietary fibre from carrot, cabbage, apple, bran, and guar gum. Lancet 1978;1:5–8. CrossRef
- Burkitt DP, Walker AR, Painter NS. Dietary fiber and disease. JAMA 1974;229:1068–74. CrossRef
- Painter NS, Burkitt DP. Diverticular disease of the colon: a deficiency disease of western civilization. Br Med J 1971;2:450–4.
- Burkitt DP. Hemorrhoids, varicose veins and deep vein thrombosis: epidemiologic features and suggested causative factors. Can J Surg 1975;18:483–8.
- Goligher JC. Surgery of the anus, rectum and colon. 2nd ed. London: Baillière, Tindall and Cassell, 1967.
- Broader JH, Gunn IF, Alexander-Williams J. Evaluation of a bulk-forming evacuant in the management of haemorrhoids. Br J Surg 1974;61:142–4.
- Webster DJ, Gough DC, Craven JL. The use of bulk evacuant in patients with haemorrhoids. Br J Surg 1978;65:291–2.
- Greca F, Hares MM, Nevah E, Alexander-Williams J, Keighley MR. A randomized trial to compare rubber band ligation with phenol injection for treatment of haemorrhoids. Br J Surg 1981;68:250–2.
- Hood TR, Alexander-Williams J. Anal dilatation versus rubber band ligation for internal hemorrhoids: method of treatment in outpatients. Am J Surg 1971;122:545–8. CrossRef
- Thompson JP. Haemorrhoids and fissure. Br J Hosp Med 1978;14:600–9.
- Keighley MR, Buchmann P, Minervini S, Arabi Y, Alexander-Williams J. Prospective trials of minor surgical procedures and high-fibre diet for haemorrhoids. Br Med J 1979;2:967–9. CrossRef
- High-fiber diet reduces bleeding and pain in patients with hemorrhoids
Diseases of the Colon & Rectum
Volume 25, Issue 5 , pp 454-456
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- High-fiber diet
- Industry Sectors