Treatment of desmoid tumors in Gardner's syndrome
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Aggressive desmoid tumors present difficult problems among patients with Gardner's syndrome. Recently, attention has been directed toward metabolic or hormonal manipulation of these tumors. A 21-year-old woman with Gardner's syndrome was admitted because of recurrent abdominal wall tumors. She was treated with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, tamoxifen, and ascorbate for seven months. During this therapy, CT scan showed a gradual increase in size of the tumors. Subsequent resection of the abdominal tumors and the colon was performed. Although these three types of drugs were administered to prevent postoperative recurrence, an abdominal wall desmoid tumor that invaded the mesentery developed within nine months. The known treatments, that is, chemotherapy, irradiation, and surgical resection are discussed in view of this experience.
- Reitamo JJ. The desmoid tumor. IV. Choice of treatment, results, and complications. Arch Surg 1983;118:1318–22.
- Jones IT, Jagelman DG, Fazio VW, Lavery IC, Weakley FL, McGannon E. Desmoid tumors in familial polyposis coli. Ann Surg 1986;204:94–7. CrossRef
- McAdam WA, Goligher JC. The occurrence of desmoids in patients with familial polyposis coli. Br J Surg 1970;57:618–31.
- Waddell WR, Gerner RE. Indomethacin and ascorbate inhibit desmoid tumors. J Surg Oncol 1980;15:85–90.
- Waddell WR. Treatment of intra-abdominal and abdominal wall desmoid tumors with drugs that affect the metabolism of cyclic 3′5′-adenosine monophosphate. Ann. Surg 1975;181:299–302. CrossRef
- Waddell WR, Gerner RE, Reich MP. Nonsteroid anti-inflammatory drugs and tamoxifen for desmoid tumors and carcinoma of the stomach. J Surg Oncol 1983;22:197–211.
- Belliveau P, Graham AM. Mesenteric desmoid tumor in Gardner's syndrome treated by sulindac. Dis Colon Rectum 1984;27:53–4. CrossRef
- Jones EL, Cornell WP. Gardner's syndrome: review of the literature and report on a family. Arch Surg 1966;92:287–300.
- Pack GT, Ariel IM. Tumors of the soft somatic tissues. New York: Hoeber-Harper, 1958.
- Naylor EW, Lebenthal E. Gardner's syndrome: recent developments in research and management. Dig Dis Sci 1980;25:945–59. CrossRef
- Reitamo JJ, Scheinin TM, Häyry P. The desmoid syndrome: new aspects in cause, pathogenesis and treatment of the desmoid tumor. Am J Surg 1986;151:230–7. CrossRef
- Richards RC, Rogers SW, Gardner EJ. Spontaneous mesenteric fibromatosis in Gardner's syndrome. Cancer 1981;47:597–601. CrossRef
- Smith WG. Multiple polyposis, Gardner's syndrome and desmoid tumors. Dis Colon Rectum 1958;1:323–32.
- Bussey HJ. Familial polyposis coli: family studies, histopathology, differential diagnosis, and results of treatment. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1975.
- Sheridan R, D'Avis J, Seyfer AE, Quispe G. Massive abdominal wall desmoid tumor treatment by resection and abdominal wall reconstruction. Dis Colon Rectum 1986;29:518–20.
- Khorsand J, Karakousis CP. Desmoid tumors and their management. Am J Surg 1985;149:215–8. CrossRef
- Kofoed H, Kamby C, Anagnostaki L. Aggressive fibromatosis. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1985;160:124–7.
- Markhede G, Lundgren L, Bjurstam N, Berlin O, Sterner B. Extra-abdominal desmoid tumors. Acta Orthop Scand 1986;57:1–7. CrossRef
- Enzinger FM, Shiraki M. Musculo-aponeurotic fibromatosis of the shoulder girdle (extra-abdominal desmoid): analysis of thirty cases followed up for ten or more years. Cancer 1967;20:1131–40. CrossRef
- Dahn I, Jonsson N, Lundh G. Desmoid tumors: a series of 33 cases. Acta Chir Scand 1963;126:305–14.
- Caldwell EH. Desmoid tumor: musculoaponeurotic fibrosis of the abdominal wall. Surgery 1976;79:104–6.
- Stevenson JK, Reid BJ. Unfamiliar aspects of familial polyposis coli. Am J Surg 1986;152:81–6. CrossRef
- Rock MG, Pritchard DJ, Reiman HM, Soule EH, Brewster C. Extra-abdominal desmoid tumors. J Bone Joint Surg 1984;66-A:1369–74.
- Schutte AG. Familial diffuse polyposis of the colon and rectum: supplementary report on three pedigrees. Dis Colon Rectum 1973;16:517–23.
- Harvey JC, Quan SH, Fortner JG. Gardner's syndrome complicated by mesenteric desmoid tumors. Surgery 1979;85:475–7.
- Kinzbrunner B, Ritter S, Domingo J, Rosenthal CJ. Remission of rapidly growing desmoid tumors after tamoxifen therapy. Cancer 1983;52:2201–4. CrossRef
- Arellano Pérez H, Guzman PC, Aguilar PE. Extraabdominal desmoid tumor: one case of successful treatment with anti-estrogens. Rev Invest Clin 1976;28:45–51.
- Lanari A. Surprising effect of progesterone treatment for desmoid tumors (aggressive fibromatosis). Medicina (B Aires) 1985;45: 105–9.
- Panos TC, Poth EJ. Desmoid tumor of the abdominal wall: use of prednisone to prevent recurrence in a child. Surgery 1959;45:777–9.
- Lim CL, Walker MJ, Mehta RR, Gupta TK. Estrogen and anti-estrogen binding sites in desmoid tumors. Eur J Cancer Clin Oncol 1986;22:583–7. CrossRef
- Andrada EC, Hoschoian JC, Anton E, Lanari A. Growth inhibition of fibroblasts by progesterone and medroxyprogesterone in vitro. Int Arch Allergy Appl Immunol 1985;76:97–100.
- Wara WM, Phillips TL, Hill DR, et al. Desmoid tumors: treatment and prognosis. Radiology 1977;124:225–6.
- Kiel KD, Suit HD. Radiation therapy in the treatment of aggressive fibromatoses (desmoid tumors). Cancer 1984;54:2051–5. CrossRef
- Greenberg HM, Goebel R, Weichselbaum RR, Greenberger JS, Chaffey JT, Cassady JR. Radiation therapy in the treatment of aggressive fibromatoses. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1981;7:305–10.
- Hill DR, Newman H, Phillips TL. Radiation therapy of desmoid tumors. AJR 1973;117:84–9.
- Leibel SA, Wara WM, Hill DR, et al. Desmoid tumors: local control and patterns of relapse following radiation therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1983;9:1167–71.
- Cole NM, Guiss LW. Extra-abdominal desmoid tumors. Arch Surg 1969;98:530–3.
- Assad WA, Nori D, Hilaris BS, Shiu MH, Hajdu SI. Role of brachytherapy in the management of desmoid tumors. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1986;12:901–6.
- Hunt RT, Morgan HC, Ackerman LV. Principles in the management of extra-abdominal desmoids. Cancer 1960;13:825–36. CrossRef
- Treatment of desmoid tumors in Gardner's syndrome
Diseases of the Colon & Rectum
Volume 31, Issue 6 , pp 459-461
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Desmoid tumor
- Gardner's syndrome
- Anti-inflammatory drugs
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgery I, Kyushu University Faculty of Medicine, Maedashi 3-1-1, 812, Fukuoka, Japan
- 2. Department of Internal Medicine II, Kyushu University Faculty of Medicine, Maedashi 3-1-1, 812, Fukuoka, Japan
- 3. Department of Pathology II, Kyushu University Faculty of Medicine, Maedashi 3-1-1, 812, Fukuoka, Japan
- 4. Department of Radiology, Kyushu University Faculty of Medicine, Maedashi 3-1-1, 812, Fukuoka, Japan