Urethral advancement and glanuloplasty UAGP vs. MAGPI for distal hypospadias repair
- A. J. Jawad
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Distal hypospadias is a commonly encountered anomaly. Since its innovation by Duckett the MAGPI procedure has become almost the standard operation for the correction of minor cases. Recently case selection has been advised to avoid possible complications and limitations. Between April 1986 and April 1995, 153 boys were treated for distal hypospadias. In 51 patients (coronal 31, subcoronal 20) a modified technique of urethral advancement and glanuloplasty (UAGP) has been used. The main indications of UAGP were the presence of glanular chordee (7), failed MAGPI (3), circumcised children with distal hypospadias (7), immobile fibrotic urethral meatus (5), and as an alternative to MAGPI (29). The overall complication rate was 4% compared to 3.8% with the MAGPI procedure which has been used in the treatment of 102 patients (glanular 50, coronal 47, and subcoronal 5). We feel this technique can be used effectively in patients with coronal and subcoronal hypospadias, particularly in the presence of distal chordee, fibrotic immobile urethral meatus or MAGPI limitations. Also UAGP could be a useful alternative to MAGPI where tension-free urethral advancement and glanular wrapping can be achieved.
- Sweet, R. A., Schrott, H. G., Kurland, R., Culp, O. S.: Study of the incidence of hypospadias in Rochester Minnesota, 1940–1970 and a case control comparison of possible etiologic factors.Mayo Clin. Proc., 49, 52 (1974).
- Duckett, J. W.: MAGPI (Meatoplasty and Glanuloplasty): A procedure for subcoronal hypospadias.Urol. Clin. North. Am., 8, 513 (1981).
- Caione, P., Capozza, N., De Genarro, M., Lais, A.: Distal urethral advancement and glanuloplasty for distal hypospadias: Preliminary results.Br. J. Urol., 68 (6), 650 (1991).
- Heusle, T. W., Badillo, F., Burbige, K. A.: Experience with the MAGPI hypospadias repairs.J. Pediatr. Surg., 18 (6), 692 (1983). CrossRef
- Issa, M. M., Gearhart, K.: The failed MAGPI: Management and prevention.Br. J. Urol., 64, 169 (1989).
- Devine, C. J. Jr., Horton, C. E.: Hypospadias repair.J. Urol., 118, 188 (1977).
- King, L. R.: Cutaneous chordee and its implications in hypospadias repair.Urol. Clin. North. Am., 8, 397 (1981).
- Koff, S. A.: Mobilization of the urethra in the surgical treatment of hypospadias.J. Urol., 125, 394 (1981).
- Mathieu, P.: Traitement en un temps de l'hypospadias balanique et juxtabalanique.J. Chirurgie, 39, 481 (1932).
- Ozen, H. A., Whitaker, R. H.: Scope and limitations of the MAGPI hypospadias repair.Br. J. Urol., 59, 81 (1987).
- Duckett, J. W., Snyder, H. M.: Meatal advancement and glanuloplasty hypospadias repair after 1000 cases: Avoidance of meatal stenosis and regression.J. Urol., 147, 665 (1992).
- Barlas, M., Dindar, H., Cakmak, M., Yucesan, S.: Distal penile hypospadias repair in children, with complete mobilization of pendulous urethra and triangular glanular flap.Br. J. Urol., 75, 94 (1995). CrossRef
- Urethral advancement and glanuloplasty UAGP vs. MAGPI for distal hypospadias repair
International Urology and Nephrology
Volume 29, Issue 6 , pp 681-686
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- A. J. Jawad (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgery, Division of Paediatric Surgery, King Saud University College of Medicine, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia