The effect of alternate-day low dose prednisolone on bone age in children with steroid dependent nephrotic syndrome
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Radius, ulna, short bones (RUS), carpal (CARP) bone age (BA), tibial corticodiaphyseal (C/D) ratio and trabecular aspect were assessed in 19 children with steroid dependent nephrotic syndrome and 15 age matched healthy children. Both RUS and CARP BA were significantly lower than in the controls. Trabecular aspect and tibial C/D ratio did not show any statistical significance. There was a positive correlation between HSDS and RUS BA delay (r=−0.476, p<0.05); CARP BA delay and RUS BA delay (r=0.563, p<0.01) and RUS BA and CARP BA (r=0.891, p<0.001). In conclusion, RUS and CARP BA are both retarded and positively correlated in steroid dependent nephrotic children.
- Tanner, J. M., Whitehouse, R. H., Marshall, W. A., Healey, M. J. R., Goldstein, H.: Assessment of Skeletal Maturity and Prediction of Adult Height (TW2 method). Academic Press, London 1975.
- Cundall, D. B., Brocklebank, J. T., Buckler, J. M. H.: Which bone age in chronic renal insufficiency and end-stage renal disease?Pediatr. Nephrol., 2, 200 (1988). CrossRef
- Polito, C., Greco, N., Opallo, A., Cimmaruta, E., La Manna, A.: Alternate-day steroids affect carpal maturation more than radius, ulna and short bones.Pediatr. Nephrol., 8, 480 (1994). CrossRef
- Blodgett, F. M., Burgin, L., Iezzonni, D., Gribetz, D., Talbot, N. B.: Effects of prolonged cortisone therapy on the statural growth, skeletal maturation and metabolic status of children.N. Engl. J. Med., 254, 636 (1956). CrossRef
- Soyka, L. F., Saxena, K. M. Alternate-day steroid therapy for nephrotic children.JAMA, 192, 225 (1965).
- Sadeghi-Nejad, A., Senior, B.: Adrenal function, growth, and insulin in patients treated with corticoids on alternate days.Pediatrics, 43, 277 (1969).
- Adhikari, M., Manikkam, N. E. G., Coovadia, H. M.: Effects of repeated courses of daily steroids and of persistent proteinuria on linear growth in children with nephrotic syndrome.Pediatr. Nephrol., 6, 4 (1992). CrossRef
- Foote, K. D., Brocklebank, J. T., Meadow, S. R.: Height attainment in children with steroid-responsive nephrotic syndrome.Lancet, 2, 917 (1985). CrossRef
- Polito, C., Oporto, M. R., Totino, S. F., La Manna, A., Di Toro, R.: Normal growth of nephrotic children during long-term alternate-day prednisone therapy.Acta Pediatr. Scand., 75, 245 (1986).
- Polito, C., Di Toro, R.: Delayed pubertal growth spurt in glomerulopathic boys receiving alternate-day prednisone.Child. Nephrol. Urol., 12, 202 (1992).
- The effect of alternate-day low dose prednisolone on bone age in children with steroid dependent nephrotic syndrome
International Urology and Nephrology
Volume 29, Issue 3 , pp 357-361
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links