Effect of deodorization and antioxidants on the stability of lard
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
DEODORIZATION produced no appreciable increase in the stability of steam-rendered lard but significantly increased the stability of kettlerendered lard. A substantial increase in the stability of lard was produced by tocopherol, regardless of whether it was added as a pure compound, as a concentrate, or as a tocopherol-bearing oil. Accelerated tests showed that this increase was more than doubled when small amounts of synergists also were added. Deodorization of the lard prior to addition of the synergistic antioxidant compositions produced even greater stability.
Nordihydroguaiaretic acid was more effective than tocopherol as an antioxidant for lard, as determined by both the active oxygen and the oxygen-absorption methods. Deodorization of the lard prior to addition of this antioxidant and synergists did not effect further increase in stability over that obtained by the addition of these materials to undeodorized lard.
- Newton, R. C., and Grettie, D. P., U.S. Patent 1,903,126 (1933).
- Grettie, D. P., Oil and Soap10, 126 (1933).
- Olcott, H. S., and Mattill, H. A., J. Am. Chem. Soc.,58, 1627 (1936). CrossRef
- Olcott, H. S., and Emerson, O. H., J. Am. Chem. Soc.,59, 1008 (1937). CrossRef
- Olcott, H. S., Oil and Soap,18, 77 (1941). CrossRef
- Golumbic, C., and Mattill, H. A., J. Biol. Chem.,134, 535 (1940).
- Golumbic, C., and Mattill, H. A., J. Am. Chem. Soc.63, 1142 (1941). CrossRef
- Riemenschneider, R. W., Turer, J., Wells, P. A., and Ault, W. C., Oil and Soap,21, 47 (1944). CrossRef
- Lundberg, W. O., Halvorson, H. O., and Burr, G. O., Oil and Soap,21, 33 (1944). CrossRef
- United States Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Animal Industry Circular Letter No. 2354, December 26, 1941.
- Private communication stating that individual requests for permission to add lecithin to lard or “rendered pork fat” have been granted.
- War Food Administration Meat Inspection Division Memorandum No. 25, Dec. 11, 1943.
- War Food Administration Meat Inspection Division Memorandum No. 29, Feb. 10, 1944.
- Lee, A. P., and King, W. G., Jr., Oil and Soap,14, 263 (1937). CrossRef
- Bailey, A. E., Ind. Eng. Chem.,33, 404 (1941). CrossRef
- Bailey, A. E., and Feuge, R. O., Ind. Eng. Chem., Anal. Ed.,15, 280 (1943). CrossRef
- Parker, W. E., and McFarlane, W. D., Can. J. Res.,18B, 405 (1940).
- Riemenschneider, R. W., Turer, J., and Speck, R. M., Oil and Soap,20, 169 (1943). CrossRef
- Johnston, W. R., and Frey, C. N., Ind. Eng. Chem., Anal. Ed.,13, 479 (1941). CrossRef
- Swern, D., Stirton, A. J., Turer, J., and Wells, P. A., Oil and Soap20, 224 (1943).
- Effect of deodorization and antioxidants on the stability of lard
Oil & Soap
Volume 21, Issue 10 , pp 307-309
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors