Lipase-catalyzed transesterification of phosphatidylcholine at controlled water activity
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The incorporation of a free fatty acid into thesn-1 position of phosphatidylcholine by lipase-catalyzed transesterification was investigated. The thermodynamic water activity of both the enzyme preparation and the substrate solution was adjusted to the same value prior to the reaction. The reaction rate increased with increasing water activity but the yield of modified phosphatidylcholine decreased due to hydrolysis. By using a large excess of the free fatty acid (heptadecanoic acid), the hydrolysis reaction was slowed down, so a higher yield was obtained at a given degree of incorporation. The best results were obtained withRhizopus arrhizus lipase immobilized by adsorption on a polypropylene support. With this preparation, a yield of 60% and nearly 50% incorporation of heptadecanoic acid (100% incorporation in thesn-1 position) was obtained at a water activity of 0.064. The enzyme preparation had good operational stability and position specificity. Little incorporation (<1%) was observed in thesn-2 position, when almost all the fatty acid in thesn-1 position was exchanged.
- Plückthun, A. and E.A. Dennis,Biochemistry 21:1743 (1982). CrossRef
- Brockerhoff, H., P.C. Schmidt, J.W. Fong and L.J. Tirri,Lipids 11:421 (1976). CrossRef
- Yoshimoto, T., M. Nakata, S. Yamaguchi, T. Funada, Y. Saito and Y. Inada,Biotechnol. Lett. 8:771 (1986). CrossRef
- Yagi, T., T. Nakanishi, Y. Yoshizawa and F. Fukui,J. Ferment. Bioeng. 69:23 (1990). CrossRef
- Yoichiro, T., and H. Setsuko,J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 68:848 (1991).
- Svensson, I., P. Adlercreutz and B. Mattiasson,Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 33:255 (1990). CrossRef
- Pernas, P., L.J. Olivier, M.D. Legoy and G. Bereziat,Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 168:644 (1990). CrossRef
- Na, A., C. Eriksson, S.G. Eriksson, E. Österberg and K. Holmberg,J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 67:766 (1990).
- Adlercreutz, P.,Eur. J. Biochem. 199:609 (1991). CrossRef
- Lipase-catalyzed transesterification of phosphatidylcholine at controlled water activity
Journal of the American Oil Chemists’ Society
Volume 69, Issue 10 , pp 986-991
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- water activity
- Industry Sectors