Combating famine by grain storage in Western Sudan
- Prof., Dr. Fouad N. Ibrahim
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Traditional grain storage used to be an effective mechanism to combat famine in the rural areas of W Sudan. Of late, this mechanism has failed to function and a severe famine took place in 1984–1985. This paper endeavours to highlight this crisis, show the traditional methods of grain storage and point out to ways of retrieving grain storage systems to start again on a less vulnerable basis. An assessment of grain storage requirements under the new conditions where both market and subsistence economy are effective in rural areas is made for the different ecological zones of W Sudan.
- GBWA International: Report on Existing Storage Facilities. Emergency Food Aid Western Sudan. MFEP, Khartoum 1984.
- Ibrahim, F.N.: Anthropogenic Causes of Desertification in Western Sudan. Geojournal 2, 3, 243–254 (1978) CrossRef
- Ibrahim, F.N.: Ecological Imbalance in the Republic of the Sudan - With Reference to Desertification in Darfur. Bayreuther Geowissenschaftliche Arbeiten. Bayreuth 1984.
- UNDP: A strategy of Grain Storage at Local Level in Darfur and Kordofan. Prepared by F.N. Ibrahim and A.M.A. Bakhit. Khartoum 1985.
- Combating famine by grain storage in Western Sudan
Volume 14, Issue 1 , pp 29-35
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Inst. f. Geowissenschaften der Universität, Postfach 101251, D-8580, Bayreuth, Germany