A set theoretical approach to immunotaxonomy: Analysis of species comparisons in modified ouchterlony plates
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The precipitin spurs formed in Ochterlony comparisons of corresponding antigens in different species can be defined using the notation of set theory. A computer program based on this set theory definition can then be applied to Ouchterlony data so as to list the various species employed in the comparisons in order of increasing divergence, from an homologous species. Such a computer program concisely captured conclusions, previously drawn in a more discursive manner, from data obtained with chicken and rabbit antisera to purified human serum proteins and produced results highly correlated with those of the more quantitative method of micro-complement fixation.
- Fitch, W. M. and E. Margoliash. 1967. “Construction of Phylogenetic Trees.”Science,155, 279–284.
- Goodman, M., 1962a. “Evolution of the Immunologic Species Specificity of Human Serum Proteins.”Human Biol.,34, 104–150.
- —, 1962b. “Immunochemistry of the Primates and Primate Evolution.”Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci.,102, 219–234.
- —, 1963a. “Serological Analysis of the Systematics of Recent Hominoids.”Human Biol.,35, 377–436.
- —, 1963b. “Man's Place in the Phylogeny of the Primates as Reflected in Serum Proteins.” InClassification and Human Evolution, S. L. Washburn. Ed. Aldine Press, Chicago, pp. 203–234.
- —, 1967. “Deciphering Primate Phylogeny from Macromolecular Specificities.”Am. J. Physical Anthrop.,26, 255–275. CrossRef
- —, 1967. “Effects of Evolution on Primate Macromolecules.”Primates,8, 1–22. CrossRef
- Hafleigh, A. S. and C. A. Williams, Jr. 1966. “Antigenic Correspondence of Serum Albumins among the Primates.”Science,151, 1530–1535.
- Hoyer, B. H., E. T. Bolton, B. J. McCarthy and R. B. Roberts. 1965. “Evolution of Polynucleotides.” InEvolving Genes and Proteins, V. Bryson and H. J. Vogel, Eds. Academic Press, New York.
- McCarthy, B. J. and E. T. Bolton, 1963. “An Approach to the Measurement of Genetic Relatedness among Organisms.”Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., U.S.,50, 156–164. CrossRef
- Sarich, V. M. and A. C. Wilson. 1966. “Quantitative Immunochemistry and the Evolution of Primate Albumins: micro-complement fixation.”Science,154, 1563–1566.
- A set theoretical approach to immunotaxonomy: Analysis of species comparisons in modified ouchterlony plates
The bulletin of mathematical biophysics
Volume 30, Issue 2 , pp 279-289
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links