Pore structure and frost durability of clay bricks
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The interrelationships among pore structure, saturation coefficient and moisture saturation behaviour of burnt clay brick specimens made from two different raw materials and fired to different temperatures are discussed. From these relationships an evaluation method for the forst resistance of clay bricks based on the continuous and the total porosity obtained from mercury intrusion porosimetry is presented.
- Fagerlund, G., ‘The Significance of Critical Degrees of Saturation at Freezing of Porous and Brittle Materials’, in ACI Publication SP-47 (1975) pp. 13–64.
- van der Velden, J. H., ‘Weathering and frost testing of structural ceramics’,Ziegelindustrie Int. No. 1 (1983) 18–26.
- Vincenzini, P., ‘Some laboratory tests used to foresee the frost behavior of ceramic building materials’,Ceramurgia 4(3) (1974) 176–188.
- Ravaglioli, A., ‘Evaluation of the frost resistance of pressed ceramic products based on the dimensional distribution of pores’,Trans. J. Br. Ceram. Soc. 75(5) (1976) 92–95.
- Nakamura, M., Togaya, T. and Okuda, S., ‘Effect of dimensional distribution of pores in porous ceramics on frost resistance under one dimenstional cooling’,Yogyo-Kyokai-Shi 85 (11) (1977) 549–554.
- Maage M., ‘Frost resistance and pore size distribution in bricks’,Mater. Struct. 17 (101) (1984) 345–350.
- Robinson, G. C., ‘The relationship between pore structure and durability of brick’,Bull. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 63 (2) (1984) 295–300.
- Kung, J. H., Hansen, W. and Storer-Folt, J. P., ‘Modified saturation coefficient for fast and accurate prediction of frost resistance of clay bricks’,Mater. Struct.
- Kung, J. H., ‘Frost durability study of Canadian clay bricks-II. Characterization of raw materials and burnt bricks’,J. Durability Bldg Mater.
- Winslow, D. N. and Diamond, S., ‘A mercury porosimetry study of the evolution of porosity in Portaland cement’,J. Mater. 5(3) (1970) 564–585.
- Kung, J. H., ‘Frost durability of clay bricks-evaluation criteria and quality control’, in Proceedings of the CBAC/DBR Manufacturers Symposium, National Research Council of Canada, Ottawa, 1984.
- Pore structure and frost durability of clay bricks
Materials and Structures
Volume 21, Issue 6 , pp 443-447
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors