Clinical evaluation of prolonged chemotherapy combined with induction of hepatic drug-metabolizing enzymes as an adjuvant for treating patients with gastric cancer
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A clinical trial of a protracted adjuvant cancer chemotherapy was carried out on 207 patients with operable gastric cancer, from April, 1977, in the First Department of Surgery, Chiba University Hospital and two closely related hospitals. These patients were given intravenously 0.4 mg/kg and 0.2 mg/kg of mitomycin C on the day of operation and the next day, respectively, and then 16 mg/kg intravenously of Futraful (FT-207) daily from the 10th postoperative day until discharge, followed by oral administration of FT-207, 12 mg/kg, for 24 to 36 months after discharge. Two mg/kg of phenobarbital and 30 mg/kg of glutathione were administered randomly to half the number of patients (induction group) to induce hepatic drug-metabolizing enzymes. Significantly higher levels of serum 5-Fluorouracil (5-FU) released from FT-207 were found in the induction group than in the controls. Five-year overall survival rates in the induction and control groups revealed no difference. However, the survival rates in Stage III patients in the induction group were significantly superior in the 3–5 postoperative years, compared to those in the Statge III of the control group, while Stage I, II and IV patients apparently received no benefit from this induction treatment.
- Cruz, E. P., McDonald, G. O. and Cole, W. H.: Prophylatic treatment of cancer. The use of chemotherapeutic agents to prevent tumor metastasis. Surgery 40: 291–296, 1956.
- Dixon, W. J., Longmire, W. P. Jr. and Holden, W. D.: Use of triethylenethiophosphoramide as an adjuvant to the surgical treatment of gastric and colorectal carcinoma: ten-year follow-up. Ann. Surg. 173: 26–39, 1971.
- Longmire, W. P. Jr., Kuzuma, J. W. and Dixon, W. J.: The use of triethylenethiophosphoramide as an adjuvant to the surgical treatment of gastric carcinoma. Ann. Surg. 167: 293–312, 1968.
- Higgins, G. A., Dwight, R. W., Smith, J. V. and Keehn, R. J.: Fluorouracil as an adjuvant to surgery in carcinoma of the colon. Arch. Surg. 102: 339–343, 1971.
- Kaibara, N., Soejima, K., Nakamura, T. and Inokuchi, K.: Postoperative long term chemotherapy for advanced gastric cancer. Jpn. J. Surg. 6: 54–59, 1976. CrossRef
- Lawrence, W. Jr., Terz, J. J., Horsley, S. III, Donaldson, M., Lovett, W. L., Brown, P. W., Ruffner, B. W. and Regelson, W.: Chemotherapy as an adjuvant to surgery for colorectal cancer. Ann. Surg. 181: 616–623, 1975.
- Fujimoto, S., Akao, T., Itoh, B., Koshizuka, I., Kitsukawa, Y., Takahashi, M., Minami, T., Ishigami, H., Miyazaki, M. and Itoh, K.: Protracted oral chemotherapy with fluorinated pyrimidines as an adjuvant to surgical treatment for stomach cancer. Ann. Surg. 185: 462–466, 1977.
- Fujimoto, S., Ishigami, H., Minami, T., Miyazaki, M., Itoh, K. and Kimura, K.: Metabolism of 1, 3-bis (tetrahydro-2-furanyl)-5-fluorouracil in mice. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 63: 465–468, 1979.
- Fujimoto, S., Itoh, K., Tazawa, T., Hosaka, T., Karaki, S., Kawanomoto, S., Hikosaka, T. and Gambe, K.: Intensified cancer chemotherapy by induction of hepatic drug-metabolizing enzymes as a trial for the treatment for stomach cancer. Jpn. J. Surg. 10: 27–33, 1980. CrossRef
- Black, M., Perrett, R. D. and Carter, A. E.: Hepatic bilirubin UDP-glucuronyl transferase activity and cytochrome P-450 content in a surgical population, and the effect of preoperative drug therapy. J. Lab. Clin. Med. 81: 704–712, 1973.
- Breckenridge, A., Orme, M. L'E., Davies, L., Thorgeirsson, S. S. and Davies, D. S.: Dose-dependent enzyme induction. Clin. Pharmacol. Ther. 14: 514–520, 1973.
- Wills, E. D.: Lipid peroxide formation in microsomes. Relationship of hydroxylation to lipid peroxide formation. Biochem. J. 113: 333–341, 1969.
- Hattori, T., Itoh, I. and Hirata, K.: Large dose administration of mitomycin-C during gastrectomy followed by homologous bone marrow transplantation. Gann 55: 211–224, 1964.
- Japanese Research Society for Gastric Cancer The General Rules for the Gastric Cancer Study in Surgery and Pathology. 10th ed., pp. 1–35, Kanahara, Tokyo, 1979 (in Japanese)
- Fujita, H.: In vivo distribution of anticancer agents—methods of assay— Jpn. J. Cancer and Chemother. 1: 497–503, 1974 (in Japanese).
- Kano, T., Kumashiro, R., Masuda, H., Tamada, R. and Inokuchi, K.: Late results of postoperative long-term cancer chemotherapy for the gastric cancer patients subjected to curative resection. Jpn. J. Surg. 13: 112–116, 1983. CrossRef
- Clinical evaluation of prolonged chemotherapy combined with induction of hepatic drug-metabolizing enzymes as an adjuvant for treating patients with gastric cancer
The Japanese journal of surgery
Volume 13, Issue 6 , pp 486-492
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- prolonged adjuvant cancer chemotherapy
- gastric cancer
- hepatic drug-metabolizing enzymes
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. The First Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, Chiba University, 1-8-1, Inohana, 280, Chiba, Japan
- 2. The Surgical Division of Odawara City Hospital, Odawara, Kanagawa, Japan
- 3. The Surgical Division of Kimitsu Central Hospital, Kisarazu, Chiba, Japan