Rectal pressure and rectal compliance in ulcerative colitis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Anorectal manometry, coupled with measurement of rectal compliance, was carried out on 11 healthy subjects and 9 patients with ulcerative colitis. Resting pressure profile of the anorectum but basal rhythmic contraction of the anal canal was normal in most of the patients and rectoanal reflex was positive in all. Rectal compliance was, however, significantly decreased in 7 of 9 patients. These results suggest that distensibility of the rectum may be decreased in cases of ulcerative colitis and that measurements of resting pressure profile, rectoanal reflex, and rectal compliance may be helpful in selecting patients suitable for elective surgery to preserve sphincter function.
- Veidenheimer, M.C., Dailey, T.H., and Meissner, W.A.: Ileorectal anastomosis for inflammatory disease of the large bowel. Amer. J. Surg. 119: 375–378, 1970. CrossRef
- Ekesparre, W. & Janneck, C.: Follow-up results of the pullthrough operation for ulcerative colitis in children. Prog. Pediar. Surg. 11: 7–20, 1978.
- Colin, D.R., Galmiche, J.P., Geffroy, Y., Lefrancois, H.R., and Pasquis, P.: Elastic properties of the rectal wall in normal adults and in patients with ulcerative colitis. Gastroenterology 77: 45–48, 1979.
- Keighley, R.B., Buchmann, P., and Allan, R.N.: Measurement of anorectal physiology to predict the outcome of ileorectal anastomosis for Crohn's colitis. (in Surgical Research Society Abstract). Br. J. Surg. 68: 350–368 1981.
- Suzuki, H., Amano, S., Honzumi, M., Saijo, H., and Sakakura, K.: Anorectal pressure and rectal compliance in constipated infants and children. Z. Kinderchir. 29: 330–336, 1980.
- Suzuki, H., Matsumoto, K., Amano, S., Fujioka, M., and Honzumi, M.: Anorectal pressure and rectal compliance after low anterior resection. Br. J. Surg. 67: 655–657, 1980.
- Khan, O. & Nixon, H.H.: Results following surgery for Hirschsprung's disease: a review of three operations with a reference to neorectal capacity. Br. J. Surg. 67: 436–438, 1980.
- Holschneider, A.M.: The problem of anorectal continence. Prog. Pediatr. Surg. 9: 85–97, 1976.
- Rectal pressure and rectal compliance in ulcerative colitis
The Japanese journal of surgery
Volume 12, Issue 1 , pp 79-81
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- ulcerative colitis
- anorectal pressure
- rectal compliance
- Industry Sectors