A study on the non-linear flow of blood through arteries
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The pulsatile flow of blood through arteries is investigated in this paper by treating the blood vessel as a thin-walled anisotropic, non-linearly viscoelastic, incompressible circular cylindrical shell; nonlinearities of the flow of blood are also paid due consideration. The displacement components of the vessel wall are obtained from the equations of equilibrium which have been linearized by employing the principle of superimposition of a small deformation on a state of known finite deformation. The influence of the wall deformation on the flow properties of blood, has been accounted for by considering suitably formulated continuity conditions. A finitedifference scheme is employed for solving the flow equations together with the boundary and initial conditions by using the locally measured values of pressure and pressure gradient. Numerical results obtained for the velocity profile of blood flowing in a canine middle descending thoracic aorta have been presented through figures.
- Atabek, H. B. 1968. “Wave Propagation Through a Viscous Fluid Contained in a Tethered, Initially Stressed, Orthotropic Elastic Tube.”Biophys. J. 8, 626–649.
- Attinger, E. O. 1968. “Analysis of Pulsatile Blood Flow.” InAdvances in Biomedical Engineering and Medical Physics, S. A. Levin (Ed.), pp. 1–59. New York: Interscience.
- Cox, R. H. 1969. “Comparison of Linearized Propagation Models for Arterial Blood Flow Analysis.”J. Biomech.,2, 251–265. CrossRef
- —. 1970a. “Estimation of Pressure Gradient by Differential Pressure.”J. appl. Physiol. 29, 904–906.
- —. 1970b. “Wave Propagation Through a Newtonian Fluid Contained Within a Thinwalled Viscoelastic Tube: the Influence of Wall Compressibility.”J. Biomech. 3, 317–335. CrossRef
- —. 1970c. “Blood Flow and Pressure Propagation in the Canine Femoral Artery.”J. Biomech. 3, 131–149. CrossRef
- — 1972. “A Model for the Dynamic Mechanical Properties of Arteries.”J. Biomech. 5, 135–152. CrossRef
- Fry, D. L., D. M. Griggs and J. C. Greenfield 1964.Pulsatile Blood Flow, E. O. Attinger (Ed.), p. 101. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Imaeda, K. and F. O. Goodman. 1980. “Analysis of Non-linear Pulsatile Blood Flow in Arteries.”J. Biomech. 13, 1007–1022. CrossRef
- Ling, S. C. and H. B. Atabek. 1972. “A Nonlinear Analysis of Pulsatile Blood Flow in Arteries.”J. Fluid Mech. 55, 492–511. CrossRef
- —— and J. J. Carmody. 1969. “Pulsatile Flows in Arteries.” InApplied Mechanics, Proc. 12th Int. Congr. Appl. Mech., M. Hetenyi (Ed.), p. 277 New York: Springer.
- McDonald, D. A. 1974.Blood Flow in Arteries London: Edward Arnold.
- Misra, J. C. and S. Chakravarty. 1980. “Study of Compressibility in Vascular Rheology.”Rheol. Acta 19, 381–388. CrossRef
- — and —. 1982. “Dynamic Response of Arterial Wallsin Vivo.”J. Biomech. 15, 317–324. CrossRef
- —— and K. Roychoudhury. 1982a. “Non-linear Stress Field in Blood Vessels Under the Action of Connective Tissues.”Blood Vessels 19, 19–29. CrossRef
- — and —. 1982b. “A Study on the Stability of Blood Vessels.”Rheol. Acta 31, 340–346. CrossRef
- — and —. 1983a. “Effect of Initial Stresses on the Wave Propagation in Arteries.”J. math. Biol. 18, 53–67.
- — and —. 1983b. “Effect of Inertia and Compressibility on the Stress Field in Blood Vessels”J. math. Phys. Sci. 17, 399–415.
- — and —. 1984. “An Analysis of the Flow of Blood Through Thick-walled Vessels, Considering the Effect of Tethering.”Rheol. Acta 20, 548–555. CrossRef
- — and — and S. I. Singh. 1983. “A Large Deformation Analysis for Aortic Walls Under a Physiological Loading.”Int. J. Engng Sci. 21, 1193–1202. CrossRef
- — and —. 1984. “Pulse Wave Velocities in the Aorta.”Bull. math. Biol. 46, 103–114.
- — and —. 1985. “A Model for Studying the Stability of Thoracic Aorta.”Math. Modelling 6, 295–306. CrossRef
- Morgan, G. W. and J. P. Kiely. 1954. “Wave Propagation in a Viscous Liquid Contained in a Flexible Tube.”J. acoust. Soc. Am. 26, 323–328. CrossRef
- Vaishnav, R. N., J. T. Young and D. J. Patel. 1978. “Non-linear Visco-elasticity of Large Blood Vessels.” InCardiovascular System Dynamics, J. Baan, A. Noordergraaf and J. Raines (Eds), pp. 140–153. Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Womersley, J. R. 1955. “Oscillatory Motion of a Viscous Liquid in a Thin-walled Elastic Tube—I. The Linear Approximation for Long Waves.”Phil. Mag. 46, 199–221.
- A study on the non-linear flow of blood through arteries
Bulletin of Mathematical Biology
Volume 49, Issue 3 , pp 257-277
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links