Excluded possibilities of geometrodynamical analog to electric charge
- W. G. Unruh
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Read on 18 May 1970 at the Gwatt Seminar on the Bearings of Topology upon Genral Relativity
Publication assisted by National Science Foundation Grant No. GP7669.
- Misner, C. W., Wheeler, J. A. (1957) Gravitation, Electromagnetism, Unquantized Charge, and Mass as Propeerties of Curved Empty Space. Ann. Phys. 2: pp. 525-525 CrossRef
- InGeometrodynamics, pp. 231, Wheeder cites H. Weyl:Raum Zeit Materie, 4th ed., Sect.34 (Berlin, 192), A. Finstein and N. Rosen (1935).Phys. Rev. 48, 73, and J. L. Synge (1947) as having previously mentioned the idea of multiply connected spaces in Genral Relativity.
- Fleischer, R. L. (1969) Phys. Rev. 177: pp. 2029-2029 CrossRef
- Singer, I. M., Thorpe, J. A. (1967) Lecture Notes on Elementary Topology and Geometry. Scott, Foreman and Company, Gleville, Illinois
- Geroch, R. P. (1967) J. Math. Phys. 8: pp. 782-782 CrossRef
- Misner, C. W., Finklestein, D. (1959) Ann. Phys. 6: pp. 230-230 CrossRef
- Wheeler, J. A., Absence of Geometrical Analog to Electric Charge, inRelativistic Fluid Mechanics and Hydrodynamics. (Ed. Wasserman and Wells).
- We note that if our tensor is already the curl of an antisymmetric tensor, the charges associated with it are all zero, and we therefore exclude these curl free tensors.
- IfT (μρ;σ)=0 thent 16 μ=(εμν∞T ρσ);μ=0.
- Penrose, R. (1960) Ann. Phys. 10: pp. 171-201 CrossRef
- Penrose, R. (1960) Ann. Phys. 10: pp. 183-183
- Collinson, C. (1962) Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc. 58: pp. 346-346 CrossRef
- C. Collinson neglects this consequence of the Bianchi identities, making some of this independent tensors dependent.
- R. Geroch has suggested a possible method of proving the nonexistence of such curl free tensors for alln for the curl free vector and 2-tensor, and investigation of his suggestion is being carried out at present.
- Excluded possibilities of geometrodynamical analog to electric charge
General Relativity and Gravitation
Volume 2, Issue 1 , pp 27-33
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- W. G. Unruh (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Joseph Henry Laboratories, Princeton University, Princcton, New Jersey