Geography in general education in Nigeria
- Julie Okpala
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper traces the development of geographic education in Nigeria and examines the views of geographers, other academics, students and the public at large about the importance of geography. Geography's value is immense despite the non-professional nature of the discipline. Nevertheless, there is a need to define geography's status and ensure career prospects for students. The Nigerian Geographical Association (from classroom teaachers to top geographers) must promote geography, improve its status in schools and universities, and continuously restructure its content and methods to address pertinent social needs.
- Alaba, J. O. et al.: Problems of Implementing the New (1985) Geography Curriculum with Special Reference to Awka Educational Zone. Unpublished B. Sc. Education/Geography Project. University of Nigeria, Nsukka 1988.
- Alao, N.: Geography in Nigerian universities. The Nigerian Geo graphical Journal 21, 1, 31–37 (1978)
- Australian Geography Teachers' Association, Inc: Geography in Secondary Education. Australian Geography Teachers' Assocation, Inc., Brisbane 1988.
- Bailey, P.; Binns, T. (eds.): A Case for Geography: A Response to the Secretary of State for Education From Members of the Geographical Association. The Geographical Assocation, Sheffield 1987.
- Baichin, W. G. V.: Careers for graduate geographers. Geographical Journal 149, 334–341 (1983)
- Ede, D. E.: Relationship Between Students Performance in Geography and Agriculture in Selected Secondary Schools in Anambra and Imo States. Unpublished B. Sc. Education Dissertation. University of Nigeria, Nsukka 1976.
- Eze, J. O. N.: Career Opportunities for the Nigerian Geographer. A lecture delivered at the Refresher Course on Geography. Ministry of Education, Enugu 1972.
- Federal Republic of Nigeria: National Policy on Education (Revis ed). Nigerian Educational Research Council, Lagos 1981.
- Goodson, I.: Becoming an academic subject: Patterns of explanation and evolution. British Journal of Sociology of Education 2, 2, 163–179 (1981)
- Ifedigbo, J. C.: The Attitudes of Education Authorities Towards Establishment of Geography Rooms in Secondary Schools. Unpublished B. Sc. Education Dissertation. University of Nigeria, Nsukka 1977.
- JAMB — Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board: Guidelines for Admission to First Degree Courses in Nigerian Universities. Federal Republic of Nigeria, Lagos 1988–89.
- Lieberman, M.: Education as a Profession. Prentice Hall, Inc., New Jersey 1960.
- Nwagu, E. K. N.: Validity of Teacher-Made Geography Tests Used in Secondary Schools in Anambra State. Unpublished M. Ed. Dissertation. University of Nigeria, Nsukka 1985.
- Ofomata, G. E. K.: Jobs for Geographers. Occasional Publication No. 3 Department of Geography, University of Nigeria, Nsukka (1971)
- Ojo, G. J. A.: Geography Today: Its Purpose, Content and Method. In: Faniran, A.; Okunrotifa P. O. (eds.) A Handbook of Geography Teaching for Schools. Heinemann Educational Books (Nig.) Ltd., Lagos 1981.
- Okpala, J.: Research in Geographical Education in Nigeria 1981–1986. In: Gerber, R.; Lidstone, J. (eds.), Developing Skills in Geographical Education. International Geographical Union Commission on Geographical Education with the Jacraranda Press, Brisbane 1988.
- Okunrotifa, P. O.: The Objectives of Geographic Education. In: Majasan, J. A.; Adejuyigbe, O. (eds.), Curriculum Innovations in Nigerian High School Geography. The Institute of Education, University of Ibadan and The Nigerian Geographical Association, Ibadan 1973.
- Ologe, K. O.: Jobs for Geographers. Career Outlets for Geography Graduates in Nigeria. The Nigerian Geographical Journal 27.1+2, 3–11 (1984)
- Onasanya, M. K.: Beyond Mastery Learning: The Effect of Com bining Student-Support System with Feedback — Corrective on Learning Outcomes in Geography. Unpublished Ph. D. Thesis. University of Ibadan, Ibadan 1985.
- Willmer, J. E.: A Plea for a New Interpretation of Geography in Education. The Nigerian Geographical Journal 9, 2, 155–162 (1966)
- Geography in general education in Nigeria
Volume 20, Issue 1 , pp 37-43
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Julie Okpala (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Education, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Nigeria