Skeletal age determination based on the os pubis: A comparison of the Acsádi-Nemeskéri and Suchey-Brooks methods
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
After reviewing various systems of age determination based on analysis of the pubic bone, the discussion concentrates on the collection and preparation of an extensive autopsy sample (n=1225) of pubic bones from modern individuals with legal documentation of age at death (death and/or birth certificates). TheSuchey-Brooks method derived from this sample is described. TheAcsádi-Nemeskéri system is evaluated in terms of the documented collection and it is seen that their five stage method focuses only on the early and late morphological changes. The intermediate stages, in which the ventral rampart is in process of completion, are not described. Their suggested age ranges do not correspond with the documented modern sample. Based on these limitations of theAcsádi-Nemeskéri method, applications of theSuchey-Brooks system are discussed.
- Acsádi G. &Nemeskéri J., 1970.History of Human Lifespan and Mortality. Akademiai Kiado, Budapest.
- Brooks S.T., 1955.Skeletal age at death: the reliability of cranial and pubic age Indicators. American Journal of Physical Anthropology, 13: 567–597. CrossRef
- Cobb W.M., 1952.Skeleton. In: A.I. Lansing, ed. Cowdry's Problems of Ageing, 3rd Edition. Williams & Wilkins Co., Baltimore.
- de Arenosa D. & Suchey J.M. 1987.Determination of Age in the Male Os Pubis — Composition of the Sample. Poster presented at the 39th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences, San Diego, California.
- Gilbert B.M., 1973.Misapplication to Females of the Standard for Aging the Male Os Pubis. American Journal of Physical Anthropology, 38: 39–40. CrossRef
- Gilbert B.M. &McKern T.W., 1973.A method of aging the female os pubis. American Journal of Physical Anthropology, 38: 31–38. CrossRef
- Hanihara K. &Suzuki T., 1978.Estimation of age from the pubic symphysis by means of multiple regression analysis. American Journal of Physical Anthropology, 48: 233–240. CrossRef
- Katz D. &Suchey J.M., 1986.Age determination of the male os pubis. American Journal of Physical Anthropology, 69: 427–435. CrossRef
- McKern T.W. &Stewart T.D., 1957.Skeletal Age Changes in Young American Males. Natick, MA: Quartermaster Research and Development Command, Technical Report EP. 45.
- Meindl R.S., Lovejoy C.M., Mensforth R.M. &Walker, R.A., 1985.A revised method of age determination using the os pubis, with a review and tests of accuracy of other current methods of pubic symphyseal aging. American Journal of Physical Anthropology, 68: 29–46. CrossRef
- Nemeskéri J, Harsányi L. &Acsádi G., 1960.Methoden zur diagnose des lebensalters von skelettfunden. Anthropologischer Anzeiger 24: 70–95.
- Suchey J., 1979.Problems in the aging of females using the os pubis. American Journal of Physical Anthropology, 51: 467–470. CrossRef
- Suchey J. M., Brooks S.T. & Rawson R.D., 1982.Aging the Female Os Pubis. Paper presented at the 34th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences, Orlando, Florida.
- Suchey J.M., Wiseley D.V. &Katz D., 1986.Evaluation of the Todd and McKern-Stewart Methods for Aging the Male Os Pubis. In: K.J. Reichs, Ed. Forensic Osteology, Charles C. Thomas, Publisher, Springfield.
- Suchey J.M., Wiseley D.V., Green R.F. &Noguchi T.T., 1979.Analysis of dorsal pitting in the os pubis in an extensive sample of modern American females. American Journal of Physical Anthropology, 51: 517–540. CrossRef
- Todd T.W., 1920. Age changes in the pubic bone. I The male White pubis. American Journal of Physical Anthropology, 3: 285–334. CrossRef
- Todd T.W., 1921. Age changes in the pubic bone. II: The Pubis of the male Negro-White hybrid, III: The Pubis of the White female. IV: The Pubis of the female Negro-White hybrid. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 4: 1–70. CrossRef
- Workshop of European Anthropologists,Recommendations for age and sex diagnoses of skeletons, 1980. Journal of Human Evolution, 9: 517–549. CrossRef
- Skeletal age determination based on the os pubis: A comparison of the Acsádi-Nemeskéri and Suchey-Brooks methods
Volume 5, Issue 3 , pp 227-238
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Pubic bone
- age determination