Are gorillas right-handed or not?
- W. C. McGrewAffiliated withDepartment of Sociology and Anthropology, Miami University
- , L. F. MarchantAffiliated withDepartment of Sociology and Anthropology, Miami University
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Comparative data on laterality of function in primates are useful for elucidating its evolution, including its link to asymmetry of cerebral structure. Recently the gorilla (Gorilla gorilla, Pongidae) has been nominated as the other hominoid species closest toHomo sapiens in terms of handedness. This study aims to scrutinise the 22 accounts of gorillas' hand preferences. Numerous shortcomings exist in the published literature on the topic, so that a firm conclusion is not yet possible. It is not yet clear whether gorillas are right-preferent, left-preferent, or ambi-preferent, and additional data are needed.
Key wordsgorilla handedness laterality Gorilla gorilla
- Are gorillas right-handed or not?
Volume 8, Issue 1 , pp 17-23
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Gorilla gorilla