The dramaturgical society: A macro-analytic approach to dramaturgical analysis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
While the writings of Erving Goffman have illuminated the dramaturgical components of face-to-face interaction, the task of developing a thoroughgoing substantive and theoretical explication of the dramaturgical society remains. This paper explores the utility of a dramaturgical analysis at the macrosocietal level. The character of a dramaturgical society is discussed in the first section. The origins of a critical dramaturgy are presented in the next section. The conditions of social organization which give birth to a dramaturgical society are set forth in the next sections, and the utility of dramaturgy for a self-directed society are weighed in the final section.
- Boorstin, Daniel (1962) The Image. Antheneum Press, New York
- Buckley, Walter Society as a complex adaptive system. In: Buckely, Walter eds. (1968) Modern Systems Research for the Behavioral Scientist. Aldine, Chicago
- Burke, Kenneth (1954) A Grammar of Motives. Prentice-Hall, New York
- Burke, Kenneth (1965) Permanence and Change. Bobbs-Merrill, Indianapolis
- Combes, James E., Michael W., Mansfield eds. (1976) Drama in Life. Hastings House, New York
- Duncan, Hugh D. (1962) Communication and Social Order. Bedminister, New York
- ----1965 “Introduction” to Burke, 1965.
- Edelman, Murray (1964) The Symbolic Uses of Politics. University of Illinois, Urbana
- Goffman, Erving (1959) Presentation of Self in Everyday Life. Doubleday, Garden City, New York
- Goffman, Erving (1961) Encounters. Bobbs-Merrill, Indianapolis
- Goffman, Erving (1963) Behavior in Public Places. Free Press, New York
- Goffman, Erving (1967) Interaction Ritual. Doubleday, Garden City, New York
- Gouldner, Alvin (1970) The Coming Crisis in Western Sociology. Basic Books, New York
- Gusfield, Joseph (1963) Symbolic Crusade. University of Illinois, Urbana
- Habermas, Jurgen (1970) Toward a Rational Society. Beacon Press, Boston
- Habermas, Jurgen Toward a theory of communicative competence. In: Dreitzel, Hans Peter eds. (1970) Recent Sociology, No. 2. MacMillan, Toronto
- Habermas, Jurgen (1974) On social interest. Telos 19: pp. 91-103
- Helmer, John (1970) The face of the man without qualities. Social Research 37: pp. 547-579
- Ichheiser, Gustav (1970) Appearances and Reality. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco
- Israel, Joachim (1971) Alienation: From Marx to Modern Sociology. Allyn and Bacon, Boston
- Klapp, Orrin Dramatic encounters. In: Combes, , Mansfield, eds. (1976) Drama in Life. Hastings House, New York
- MacKay, Donald M. Towards an information-flow model of human behavior. In: Buckely, Walter eds. (1968) Modern Systems Research for the Behavioral Scientist. Aldine, Chicago
- Mannheim, Karl (1936) Ideology and Utopia. Harcourt, Brace and World, New York
- Marcuse, Herbert (1964) One-Dimensional Man. Beacon Press, Boston
- Merelman, Richard M. (1969) The dramaturgy of politics. Sociological Quarterly 10: pp. 216-241 CrossRef
- Mueller, Claus (1973) Politics of Communication. Oxford University, New York
- Nimmo, Dan The drama, illusion and reality of political images. In: Combes, , Mansfield, eds. (1976) Drama in Life. Hastings House, New York
- Perinbanayagam, R. S. 1975 “The reality of drama.” Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of Midwest Sociological Society, Chicago.
- Rader, Victoria 1976 “Stratification theory and participation theory.” Paper presented at the Annual Meetings of the American Sociological Association, San Francisco.
- Thompson, Victor (1966) Modern Organization. Knopf, New York
- Weber, Max In: Gerth, Hans, Wright Mills, C. eds. (1946) From Max Weber: Essays in Sociology. Oxford University, New York
- Young, T. R. (1972) New Sources of Self. Pergamon Press, New York
- ----1975 “Critical dimensions in dramaturgical analysis: Backstage at the Whitehouse.” Presented at the 1976 American Sociological Association meetings in New York. Draft available from the Red Feather Institute.
- ----1977 “Radical dimensions in modern systems theory; a general theory of social order and a special theory of social change.” In Western Sociological Review, forthcoming.
- ----1978 “Critical dimensions in dramaturgical analysis: The division of labor in the construction of social reality.” Draft paper available through Red Feather Institute.
- Young, T. R. and John R. Brouillette 1976 “Bureaucracy and modern society.” Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Southern Sociological Society, Miami.
- The dramaturgical society: A macro-analytic approach to dramaturgical analysis
Volume 1, Issue 2 , pp 78-98
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors