The dramaturgical society: A macro-analytic approach to dramaturgical analysis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
While the writings of Erving Goffman have illuminated the dramaturgical components of face-to-face interaction, the task of developing a thoroughgoing substantive and theoretical explication of the dramaturgical society remains. This paper explores the utility of a dramaturgical analysis at the macrosocietal level. The character of a dramaturgical society is discussed in the first section. The origins of a critical dramaturgy are presented in the next section. The conditions of social organization which give birth to a dramaturgical society are set forth in the next sections, and the utility of dramaturgy for a self-directed society are weighed in the final section.
- Boorstin, Daniel 1962 The Image. New York: Antheneum Press.
- Buckley, Walter 1968 “Society as a complex adaptive system.” In Walter Buckely, Modern Systems Research for the Behavioral Scientist. Chicago: Aldine.
- Burke, Kenneth 1954 A Grammar of Motives. New York: Prentice-Hall.
- ———— 1965 Permanence and Change. Indianapolis: Bobbs-Merrill.
- Combes, James E. and Michael W. Mansfield, eds. 1976 Drama in Life. New York: Hastings House.
- Duncan, Hugh D. 1962 Communication and Social Order. New York: Bedminister.
- ----1965 “Introduction” to Burke, 1965.
- Edelman, Murray 1964 The Symbolic Uses of Politics. Urbana: University of Illinois.
- Goffman, Erving 1959 Presentation of Self in Everyday Life. Garden City, New York: Doubleday.
- ———— 1961 Encounters. Indianapolis: Bobbs-Merrill.
- ———— 1963 Behavior in Public Places. New York: Free Press.
- ———— 1967 Interaction Ritual. Garden City, New York: Doubleday.
- Gouldner, Alvin 1970 The Coming Crisis in Western Sociology. New York: Basic Books.
- Gusfield, Joseph 1963 Symbolic Crusade. Urbana: University of Illinois.
- Habermas, Jurgen 1970a Toward a Rational Society. Boston: Beacon Press.
- ———— 1970b “Toward a theory of communicative competence.” In Hans Peter Dreitzel, ed., Recent Sociology, No. 2. Toronto: MacMillan.
- ———— 1974 “On social interest.” Telos 19 (Spring):91–103.
- Helmer, John 1970 “The face of the man without qualities.” Social Research 37 (Winter):547–579.
- Ichheiser, Gustav 1970 Appearances and Reality. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Israel, Joachim 1971 Alienation: From Marx to Modern Sociology. Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
- Klapp, Orrin 1976 “Dramatic encounters.” In Combes and Mansfield, eds., Drama in Life. New York: Hastings House.
- MacKay, Donald M. 1968 “Towards an information-flow model of human behavior.” In Walter Buckely, ed., Modern Systems Research for the Behavioral Scientist. Chicago: Aldine.
- Mannheim, Karl 1936 Ideology and Utopia. New York: Harcourt, Brace and World.
- Marcuse, Herbert 1964 One-Dimensional Man. Boston: Beacon Press.
- Merelman, Richard M. 1969 “The dramaturgy of politics.” Sociological Quarterly 10, 2:216–241. CrossRef
- Mueller, Claus 1973 Politics of Communication. New York: Oxford University.
- Nimmo, Dan 1976 “The drama, illusion and reality of political images.” In Combes and Mansfield, eds., Drama in Life. New York: Hastings House.
- Perinbanayagam, R. S. 1975 “The reality of drama.” Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of Midwest Sociological Society, Chicago.
- Rader, Victoria 1976 “Stratification theory and participation theory.” Paper presented at the Annual Meetings of the American Sociological Association, San Francisco.
- Thompson, Victor 1966 Modern Organization. New York: Knopf.
- Weber, Max 1946 From Max Weber: Essays in Sociology. Hans Gerth and C. Wright Mills, eds. New York: Oxford University.
- Young, T. R. 1972 New Sources of Self. New York: Pergamon Press.
- ----1975 “Critical dimensions in dramaturgical analysis: Backstage at the Whitehouse.” Presented at the 1976 American Sociological Association meetings in New York. Draft available from the Red Feather Institute.
- ----1977 “Radical dimensions in modern systems theory; a general theory of social order and a special theory of social change.” In Western Sociological Review, forthcoming.
- ----1978 “Critical dimensions in dramaturgical analysis: The division of labor in the construction of social reality.” Draft paper available through Red Feather Institute.
- Young, T. R. and John R. Brouillette 1976 “Bureaucracy and modern society.” Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Southern Sociological Society, Miami.
- The dramaturgical society: A macro-analytic approach to dramaturgical analysis
Volume 1, Issue 2 , pp 78-98
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors