Nano-composite solid polymer electrolytes for solid state ionic devices
- M. A. K. Lakshman Dissanayake
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Recent research efforts to improve the ambient temperature conductivity in polyethylene oxide (PEO) based solid polymer electrolytes have been directed towards the incorporation of ultra-fine nano-sized particles of ceramic fillers such as Al2O3, γ-LiAlO2, SiO2 and TiO2 into the polymer electrolyte. In these PEO based nano-composite polymer electrolytes, conductivity enhancements of up to two orders of magnitude have been achieved. Thermal, electrical conductivity and dielectric relaxation measurements performed on several nano-composite polymer electrolyte systems have shown that the degree of enhancement depends primarily on the grain size. In this paper, results of three nano-composite polymer electrolyte systems, PEO:LiTFSI:Al2O3, PEO:LiTf:Al2O3 and PEO:LiTf: SiO2 are discussed as representative examples. It is suggested that the conductivity enhancement is due to the creation of additional sites and favourable conduction pathways for ionic transport through Lewis acidbase type interactions between the filler surface groups (H/OH) and the ionic species.
- D.E. Fenton, J.M. Parker, P.V. Wright, Polymer14, 589 (1973). CrossRef
- M.B. Armand, M. Chabagno, M. Duclot, in: Fast Ion Transport in Solids (P. Vashista et al. Eds.) Elsevier, New York, 1979, p. 131.
- J.R. MacCallum, C.A. Vincent (Eds.), Polymer Electrolyte Reviews, Vol.1, 1987 and Vol.2, 1989, Elsevier, London.
- F.M. Gray, Polymer Electrolytes, Royal Soc. Chem., Materials Monographs, 1997.
- B. Scrosati, F. Croce, and L. Persi, J. Electrochem. Soc.147, 1718 (2000).
- F. Croce, R. Curini, A. Martinelli, L. Persi, F. Ronci, B. Scrosati, and R. Caminiti, J. Phys. Chem. B103, 10632 (1999). CrossRef
- Binod Kumar and L.G. Scanlon, Solid State Ionics124, 239 (1999). CrossRef
- C. Capiglia, P. Mustarelli, E. Quartarone, C. Tomasi, and A. Magistris, Solid State Ionics118, 73 (1999). CrossRef
- M. Marcinek, A. Bac, P. Lipka, A. Zaleska, G. Zukowska, R. Borkowska, and W. Wieczorek, J. Phys. Chem. B104, 11088 (2000). CrossRef
- W. Wieczorek, Z. Florjanczyk and J.R. Stevens, Electrochimica Acta40(13–14), 2251 (1995).
- P.A.R.D. Jayathilaka, M.A.K.L. Dissanayake, I. Albinsson, and B.-E, Mellander, Electrochimica Acta47, 3257 (2002). CrossRef
- M.A.K.L. Dissanayake, P.A.R.D. Jayathilaka, R.S.P. Bokalawela, I. Albinson, and B.-E. Mellander, Journal of Power Sources119–121, 409 (2003).
- Nano-composite solid polymer electrolytes for solid state ionic devices
Volume 10, Issue 3-4 , pp 221-225
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Physics, University of Peradeniya, Peradeniya, Sri Lanka & Postgraduate Institute of Science (PGIS), Peradeniya, Sri Lanka