Improvements in diversion tunnel design
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The operating experience gained with the diversion tunnels of the Charvak, Nurek, and Toktogul hydroelectric schemes confirmed their high efficiency under severe hydraulic conditions, involving the conveyance of high-velocity discharges carrying abrasive sediments. It should be noted that the actual operating periods of the tunnels significantly exceeded the design durations. The expediency of adopting a horseshoe cross-sectional shape for large diversion tunnels operating under pressure, was also verified. At the same time, the operating record of these large size unique tunnels, the first in construction practice, has demonstrated the possibility of reducing the materials required for their construction, thus enabling their construction time and cost to be reduced, as well as the labor input in building similar tunnels of large cross section.
- V. F. Ilyushin, “Experience in the design, construction, and operation of the diversion tunnel of the firstlevel of the Nurek hydroelectric station,” Gidrotekh. Stroitel., No. 6 (1971).
- K. K. Kuz'min and S. A. Berezinskii, “Toktogul hydroelectric station,” Gidrotekh. Stroitel'., No. 5 (1972).
- L. N. Mnatsakanov, V. L. Kuperman, and A. M. Kel'mi, “Experience in the construction of large-section hydraulic tunnels,” Gidrotekh. Stroitel'., No. 3 (1967).
- Hydraulic Friction Losses along Water Conduits of Power Stations [in Russian], Technical Regulations and Standards (TUiN) 34–55, Gosénergoizdat Moscow (1956).
- N. P. Rozanov, K. K. Shal'nov, P. P. Moyes, N. N. Pashkov, and G. A. Vorob'ev, Prediction of Commencement of Cavitation at Irregularities on a Concrete Surface [in Russian], Vol. 78, Bull. of the B. E. Vedeneev All-Union Scientific-Research Institute of Hydraulic Engineering, Énergiya, Moscow (1965).
- Improvements in diversion tunnel design
Volume 9, Issue 8 , pp 710-715
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors