Comparisons of nests made by different populations of chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Data on the nests built by chimpanzees were collected in Equatorial Guinea and Senegal. A post-hoc comparison was made on six variables common to both sets of data, and where possible, the effects of season and type of habitat were also compared. The only variable which was not found to differ significantly was the minimum distance between nests. More effects both of season and type of habitat were found in Senegal than in Equatorial Guinea. This is attributed to the marked seasonality and more variable vegetation in the former site. It was concluded that all the differences found in nest-building could be explained by environmental factors and although learning seems to be involved, it remains for further investigation to demonstrate how this might give rise to cultural variation in nest-building.
- Baldwin, P. J., 1979. The natural history of the chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes verus) at Mt. Assirik, Senegal. Ph.D. Thesis, Univ. of Stirling.
- Bernstein, I. S. (1962) Response to nesting materials of wild born and captive born chimpanzees. Anim. Behav. 10: pp. 1-6 CrossRef
- Bolwig, N. (1959) A study of the nests built by mountain gorilla and chimpanzee. S. Afr. J. Sci. 55: pp. 286-291
- Casimir, M. J. (1979) An analysis of gorilla nesting sites of the Mt. Kahuzi region (Zaire). Folia Primatol. 32: pp. 290-298
- Collias, E. C., Collias, N. E. (1964) The development of nest-building behavior in a weaverbird. Auk 81: pp. 42-52
- Donisthorpe, J. H. (1958) A pilot study of the mountain gorilla (Gorilla gorilla beringei) in southwest Uganda, February to September 1957. S. Afr. J. Sci. 54: pp. 195-217
- Goodall, A. (1979) The Wandering Gorillas. Collins, London
- Goodall, J. (1962) Nest building behavior in the free ranging chimpanzee. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 102: pp. 455-467
- Goodall, J. (1968) The behaviour of free-ranging chimpanzees in the Gombe Stream Reserve. Anim. Behav. Monogr. 1: pp. 161-311
- Harrisson, B. (1969) The nesting behaviour of semi-wild juvenile orang-utans. Sarawak Mus. J. 17: pp. 336-384
- Hediger, H. (1977) Nest and home. Folia Primatol. 28: pp. 170-187
- Izawa, K., Itani, J. (1966) Chimpanzees in Kasakati Basin, Tanganyika. (I) Ecological study in the rainy season 1963–1964. Kyoto Univ. Afr. Stud. 1: pp. 73-156
- Jones, C. & J. Sabater Pí, 1971.Comparative Ecology of Gorilla gorilla (Savage and Wyman)and Pan troglodytes (Blumenbach)in Rio Muni, West Africa. Bibliotheca Primatologica, Vol. 13.
- Lethmate, J. (1977) Nestbauverhalten eines isoliert aufgezogenen, jungen Orang-Utans. Primates 18: pp. 545-554
- MacKinnon, J. (1974) The behaviour and ecology of wild orang-utans (Pongo pygmaeus). Anim. Behav. 22: pp. 3-74
- McGrew, W. C., Tutin, C. E. G. (1978) Evidence for a social custom in wild chimpanzees?. Man 13: pp. 234-251
- McGrew, W. C., Tutin, C. E. G., Baldwin, P. J. (1979) Chimpanzees, tools and termites: Cross-cultural comparisons of Senegal, Tanzania and Rio Muni. Man 14: pp. 185-214
- McGrew, W. C., Baldwin, P. J., Tutin, C. E. G. (1981) Chimpanzees in a hot, dry and open habitat: Mt. Assirik, Senegal, West Africa. J. Human. Evol. 10: pp. 227-244
- ----, ---- & ----, in press. Preliminary observations of the chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes verus) of the Parc National du Niokolo-Koba, Senegal.Bull. Inst. Fond. Afr. Noire.
- Nissen, H. W. (1931) A field study of the chimpanzee. Observations of chimpanzee behavior and environment in Western French Guinea. Comp. Psychol. Monogr. 8: pp. 1-122
- Rahm, U. Observations during chimpanzee captures in the Congo. In: Starck, D., Schneider, R., Kuhn, H. J. eds. (1967) Ergebness im Primatologie. Fischer, Stuttgart, pp. 195-207
- Reynolds, V., Reynolds, F. Chimpanzees of the Budongo Forest. In: DeVore, I. eds. (1965) Primate Behavior. Holt, Rinehart & Winston, New York, pp. 368-424
- Rijksen, H. D. (1978) A Field Study on Sumatran Orang-utans. H. Veenman & Zonen B. V., Wageningen, The Netherlands
- Schaller, G. B. (1961) The orang-utan in Sarawak. Zoologica 46: pp. 73-82
- Schaller, G. B. (1963) The Mountain Gorilla. Ecology and Behavior. Univ. Chicago Press, Chicago
- Siegel, S. (1956) Nonparametric Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences. McGraw-Hill, New York
- Tutin, C. E. G., W. C. McGrew & P. J. Baldwin, in press. Responses of wild chimpanzees to potential predators. In:Primate Behaviour and Sociobiology,A. B. Chiarelli & R. S. Corruccini (eds.), Springer, Heidelberg.
- Wehmer, F. (1965) Effects of prior experience with objects on maternal behaviors in the rat. J. Comp. Physiol. Psychol. 60: pp. 294-296
- Yoshiba, K. (1964) Report of the preliminary survey on the orang-utan in North Borneo. Primates 5: pp. 11-26
- Comparisons of nests made by different populations of chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes)
Volume 22, Issue 4 , pp 474-486
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links