A note on the chimpanzee ecology of the Ugalla Area, Tanzania
- Toshisada Nishida
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Results of a nine-day survey of the chimpanzee habitat in Ugalla area of western Tanzania in 1975 is reported. The most dominant vegetation of the area wasJulbernardia globiflora woodland. Evidence of chimpanzees, both indirect (such as beds, faeces, and food remnants) and direct (calls and actual observation), suggests that chimpanzees are sparsely distributed throughout the area, but that they disproportionately useBrachystegia bussei woodland along escarpments andCynometra-Albizzia riverrine forests. The hilly country of Sisegwa/Mnyangwa was the only area where chimpanzees appeared to be comparatively abundant. Mammal hair found in faeces indicates mammal-predation by the chimpanzees in this area. Hard-shelled fruits ofStrychnos were apparently bitten open without the use of extra-somatic objects. The food repertoire included fruits of the generaAzanza, Canthium, Cordia, andTamarindus.
- Goodall, J., 1968. The behaviour of free-living chimpanzees in the Gombe Stream Reserve.Anim. Behav. Monogr., 1: 161–311.
- Itani, J., 1979. Distribution and adaptation of chimpanzees in an arid area (Ugalla area, Western Tanzania). In:The Great Apes,D. A. Hamburg &E. R. McCown (eds.), Benjamin/Cummings, Menlo Park, pp. 55–71.
- Kano, T., 1972. Distribution and adaptation of the chimpanzee on the eastern shore of Lake Tanganyika.Kyoto Univ. Afr. Stud., 7: 37–129.
- Moore, J., 1986 (ms.). Arid chimp survey, Ugalla (Tanzania), Nov. 1–5, 1985. Report to L.S.B. Leakey Foundation.
- Nishida, T., 1985. The Mahale Mountains declared a national park.Int. Prim. Protect. League Newslet., 12(3): 9.
- ———— &S. Uehara, 1983. Natural diet of chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes schweinfurthii): Long-term record from the Mahale Mountains, Tanzania.Afr. Stud. Monogr., 3: 109–130.
- Suzuki, A., 1969. An ecological study of chimpanzees in a savanna woodland of western Tanzania.Primates, 7: 481–487.
- Teleki, G., 1973.The Predatory Behavior of Wild Chimpanzees. Bucknell Univ. Press, Lewisburg.
- Wrangham, R. W., 1975. The behavioural ecology of chimpanzees in Gombe National Park, Tanzania. Ph.D. dissertation. Univ. of Cambridge.
- A note on the chimpanzee ecology of the Ugalla Area, Tanzania
Volume 30, Issue 1 , pp 129-138
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Pan troglodytes
- Ugalla area
- Food habit
- Brachystegia bussei
- Author Affiliations
- 1. The University of Tokyo, Japan