Comparative phytotoxicity of nitrophenolic soil pollutants and their microbial metabolites to the growth of cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.) seedlings
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
2,4-Dinitrophenol and paranitrophenol are two major soil pollutants which are known to be metabolized by different soil microbes. Relative phytotoxicities of these parent compounds and their metabolic transformation products to the growth of cucumber seedlings were assessed. It was evident that such microbial transformations widely occurring in the soil are effective detoxification reactions and are beneficial for the plants.
- Ariens E Jet al. 1976 Introduction to General Toxicology, Academic Press Inc., New York, 116–117.
- Barik Set al. 1978 Antonie van Leeuwenhoek J. Microbiol. Serol 44, 171–176.
- Beutner R and Block R 1943 Fed. Proc. 2, 74 p.
- Chase C I 1967 Elementary Statistical Procedures 2nd Ed., McGraw-Hill Book Co., N.Y., pp 150–176.
- Girard A 1924 Bull. Soc. Chim. De France, 35, 772–773.
- Hartman W W and Silloway H L 1955 Organic Syntheses Ed. E C Horning, John Wiley and Sons, London, 3, 82–84.
- Lehninger A L 1975 Biochemistry 2nd ed., Worth Publishers Inc., New York, 519.
- Madhosingh C 1961 Can. J. Microbiol. 7, 553–567.
- Munnecke D M and Hsieh D P H 1974 Appl. Microbiol. 28, 212–217.
- Munnecke D M 1976 Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 32, 7–13.
- Plunkett E R 1966 Handbook of Industrial Toxicology, Chemical Publishing Company, Inc., New York, pp 152–153.
- Raymond D G M and Alexander M 1971 Pest. Biochem. Physiol. 1, 123–130. CrossRef
- Sethunathan N and Yoshida T 1972 Proc. Inst. Environ. Sci. N.Y. Meet. 18, 255–257.
- Siddaramappa Ret al. 1973 Appl. Microbiol., 26, 846–849.
- Spain J C 1979 Biochem. Biophys. Res. Com. 88, 634–641.
- Comparative phytotoxicity of nitrophenolic soil pollutants and their microbial metabolites to the growth of cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.) seedlings
Plant and Soil
Volume 69, Issue 3 , pp 467-471
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Martinus Nijhoff/Dr. W. Junk Publishers
- Additional Links
- Cucumis sativus L.
- Soil pollutants
- Industry Sectors