Ischemic colitis during interferon-alpha treatment for chronic active hepatitis C
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Between 1991 and 1994, at Hoshigaoka Koseinenkin Hospital, we treated 280 patients with chronic hepatitis C with interferon (IFN), and ischemic colitis occurred in two patients (0.7%) during the treatment. Melena appeared in case 1 in the 2nd month after the initiation of IFN-alpha treatment, and in case 2 in the 6th month. In both patients, longitudinal ulcerations in the descending colon were revealed by urgent colonoscopy, and these resolved within 2 weeks after discontinuation of the IFN treatment. It appears that ischemic colitis was associated with the IFN treatment, suggesting that attention should be paid to this possible complication.
- Bisceglie AM, Martin P, Kassianidies C, et al. Recombinant interferon alpha therapy for chronic hepatitis C. N Engl J Med 1989;321:1506–1510.
- Roonnblom LE, Alm GV, Ooberg K. Autoimmune phenomena in patients with malignant carcinoid tumors during interferon-alpha treatment. Ann Intern Med 1991;115(3):178–183.
- Scultz M, Muller R, Von zur Muhlen A, et al. Induction of hyperthyroidism by interferon-alpha-2b. Lancet 1989;I:1452.
- Guyer DR, Tiedeman J, Yannuzi LA, et al. Interferon-associated retinopathy. Arch Opthalmol 1993;11:350–353.
- Kamitsukasa H, Ohtake M, Kawashima H, et al. Two cases of interstitial pneumonia induced by interferon therapy for chronic aggressive hepatitis, type C. Acta Hepatol Jpn 1993;34:478–483.
- Sonnenblick M, Rosin A. Cardiotoxicity of interferon. Chest 1991;99:557–561.
- Mitoro A, Yoshikawa M, Yamamoto K, et al. Exacerbation of ulcerative colitis during alpha-interferon therapy for chronic hepatitis C. Intern Med 1993;32:327–331.
- Pecorari P. Ulcerative colitis in hairy cell leukemia. A case report. Recent Prog Med 1991;82:269–271.
- Sparano JA, Dutcher JP, Kaleya R, et al. Colonic ischemia complicating immunotherapy with interleukin-2 and interferon-alpha. Cancer 1991;68:1538–1544.
- Boley SJ, Schwartz S, Lash J, et al. Reversible vascular occlusion of the colon. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1963;116:53–60.
- Marston A, Phelis MT, Thomas ML, et al. Ischaemic colitis. Gut 1966;7:1–15.
- Muto T, Kamitani J, Sawada T, et al. Ischemic colitis with special reference to colonoscopic and histological findings. Stomach and Intestine 1981;16:267–274.
- Matolo NM, Albo DA. Gastrointestinal complications of collagen vascular diseases. Am J Surg 1971;122:678–682. CrossRef
- Kistin MG, Kaplan MM, Harrington JT. Diffuse ischemic colitis associated with systemic lupus erythematosus—response to subtotal colectomy. Gastroenterology 1978;75:1147–1151.
- Reissman P, Weiss EG, Teoh TA, et al. Gangrenous ischemic colitis of the rectum: A rare complication of systemic lupus erythematosus. Am J Gastroenterol 1994;89:2234–2236.
- Reid TJ, Lombard FA, Redmond J, et al. Digital vasculitis associated with interferon therapy. Am J Med 1992;92:702–703. CrossRef
- Vaddi K, Nicolini FA, Mehta P, et al. Increased secretion of tumor necrosis factor-alfa and interferon-gamma by mononuclear leukocytes in patients with ischemic heart disease. Circulation 1994;90:694–699.
- Ischemic colitis during interferon-alpha treatment for chronic active hepatitis C
Journal of Gastroenterology
Volume 31, Issue 4 , pp 582-584
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- chronic hepatitis C
- side effect
- ischemic colitis
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Gastroenterology, Internal Medicine, Hoshigaoka Koseinenkin Hospital, 4-8-1 Hoshigaoka, 573, Hirakata, Osaka, Japan
- 2. Department of Internal Medicine, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan