Single oral dose of cisapride accelerates gastric antral emptying in healthy humans: An ultrasonographic study
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An ultrasonographic study of ten healthy volunteers was carried out to evaluate the effect of cisapride on gastric antral emptying. More than 1 week after the measurement of the baseline emptying rate, cisapride was given at a single oral dose of 5 mg 30 minutes before intake of a balanced liquid test meal (5 ml/kg body weight). To determine the time to half emptying (T1/2), an exponential curve was extrapolated for the elimination phase of the gastroantral sagittal cross-sectional area plotted against time. The T1/2 was reduced by 18.5% after cisapride, from 62.6±4.3 to 51.0±4.4 min (P=0.0284). We conclude that a single oral dose of 5mg of cisapride significantly accelerates the gastric antral emptying rate in healthy humans.
- McCallum RW. Cisapride. A new class of prokinetic agent. Am J Gastroenterol 1991;86:135–149.
- Bateman DN. The acute action of cisapride on gastric emptying and the pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics of oral diazepam. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 1986;30:205–208. CrossRef
- Tympner F. Ultrasound study of the effect of cisapride on gastric emptying time. Digestion 1986;34:150.
- Madsen JL. Effects of cisapride on gastrointestinal transit in healthy humans. Dig Dis Sci 1990;35:1500–1504. CrossRef
- Edwards CA, Holden S, Brown C, et al. Effect of cisapride on the gastrointestinal transit of a solid meal in normal subjects. Gut 1987;28:13–16.
- Marzio L, Giacobbe A, Conoscitore P, et al Evaluation of the use of ultrasonography in the study of liquid gastric emptying. Am J Gastroenterol 1989;84:496–500.
- Marzio L, Formica P, Fabiani F, et al. Influence of physical activity on gastric empyting of liquids in normal human subjects. Am J Gastroenterol 1991;86:1433–1436.
- Carroccio A, Iacono G, Livoti G, et al. Gastric emptying in infants with gastroesophageal reflux. Ultrasound evaluation before and after cisapride administration. Scand J Gastroenterol 1992;27:799–804.
- Marzio L, Difelice F, Laico MG, et al. Gallbladder hypokinesia and normal gastric emptying of liquids in patients with dyspeptic symptoms. A double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial with cisapride. Dig Dis Sci 1992;37:262–267. CrossRef
- Dumitrascu DL, Bernert J, Kirschner T, Wienbeck M. Antral emptying of semisolid meal measured by real-real time ultrasonography in chronic renal failure. Dig Dis Sci 1995;40:636–644. CrossRef
- Odaka T, Fujisawa K, Akazawa K, et al. A visual field quantification system for the Goldmann Perimeter. J Med Syst 1992;16:161–169.
- Akkermans JMA, Jacobs F, Smout AJPM, et al. Radionuclide measurement of normal and disturbed gastric mobility Scand J Gastroenterol [Suppl] 1984;96:19–26.
- Collins PJ, Horowitz M, Shearman DJC, et al. Correlation for tissue attenuation in radionuclide gastric emptying studies: A comparison of a lateral image method and geometric method. Br J Radiol 1984;57:689–695.
- Heading RC, Nimmo J, Prescott LF, et al. The dependence of paracetamol absorption on the rate of gastric emptying. Br J Pharmacol 1973;47:415–421.
- Van Wyk M, Sommers DK, Moncrieff J. Influence of cisapride, metoclopramide and loperamide on gastric emptying of normal volunteers as measured by means of the area under the curve of the cumulative fraction absorbed-time profiles of paracetamol. Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol 1992;14:379–382.
- Holt S, McDicken W, Anderson T, et al. Dynamic imaging of the stomach by real-time ultrasound — a method for the study of gastric motility Gut 1980;21:597–601.
- Holt S, Cervantes J, Wilkinson AA, et al. Measurement of gastric emptying rate in humans by real-time ultrasonography. Gastroenterology 1986;90:918–923.
- Irvine EJ, Tougas G, Lappalainen R, et al. Reliability and interobserver variability of ultrasonographic measurement of gastric emptying rate. Dig Dis Sci 1993;38:803–810. CrossRef
- Bolondi L, Borotolotti M, Santi V, et al. Measurement of gastric emptying time by real-time ultrasonography. Gastroenterology 1985;89:752–759.
- Bateman DN, Whittingham TA. Measurement of gastric emptying by real-time ultrasound. Gut 1982;23:524–527.
- Houghton LA, Read NW, Heddle R, et al. Relationship of the motor activity of the antrum, pylorus, and duodenum to gastric emptying of a solid-liquid mixed meal. Gastroenterology 1988; 94:1285–1291.
- Parr NJ, Baker PR, Grime JS, Mackie CR. Intragastric bile does not perturb gastric emptying of liquids in humans. Dig Dis Sci 1988;33:289–292. CrossRef
- Urbain JC, Siegel JA, Debie NC, Pauwels SP. Effect of cisapride on gastric emptying in dyspeptic patients. Dig Dis Sci 1988;33:779–783. CrossRef
- Minami H, McCallum RW. The physiology and pathophysiology of gastric emptying in humans. Gastroenterology 1984;86:1592–1610.
- Lazzaroni M, Sangaletti O, Bianchi PG. Effect of cisapride on gastric emptying and ileal transit time of balanced liquid meal in healthy subjects. Digestion 1987;37:110–113.
- Camilleri M, Brown ML, Malagelada JR. Impaired transit of chyme in chronic intestinal pseudoobstruction. Correction by cisapride. Gastroenterology 1986;91:619–626.
- Reyntjens A, Verlinden M, Aerts T. Development and clinical use of the new gastrointestinal prokinetic drug cisapride (R 51619). Drug Devel Res 1986;8:251–265.
- Corinaldesi R, Stanghellini V, Raiti C, et al. Effect of chronic administration of cisapride on gastric emptying of a solid meal and on dyspeptic symptoms in patients with idiopathic gastroparesis. Gut 1987;28:300–305.
- Richards RD, Valenzuela GA, Davenport KG, et al. Objective and subjective results of a randomized, double-blind, placebocontrolled trial using cisapride to treat gastroparesis. Dig Dis Sci 1993;38:811–816.
- Bergmann JF, Chassany O, Guillausiau PJ, et al. Simultaneous noninvasive evaluation of gastric emptying and orocaecal transit times. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 1992;43:121–124. CrossRef
- Tatsuta M, Ishii H, Nakaizumi A, et al. Effect of treatment with cisapride alone or in combination with domperidone on gastric emptying and gastrointestinal symptoms in dyspepic patients Aliment Pharmacol Ther 1992;6:221–228.
- Abell TL, Camilleri M, Dimagno EP, et al. Long-term efficacy of oral cisapride in symptomatic upper gut dysmotility. Dig Dis Sci 1991;36:616–620. CrossRef
- Rowbotham DJ, Parnacott S, Nimmo WS. No effect of cisapride on paracetamol absorption after oral simultaneous administration. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 1992;42:235–236. CrossRef
- McHugh S, Lico S, Diamant NE. Cisapride vs metoclopramide. An acute study in diabetic gastroparesis. Dig Dis Sci 1992;37:997–1001. CrossRef
- Single oral dose of cisapride accelerates gastric antral emptying in healthy humans: An ultrasonographic study
Journal of Gastroenterology
Volume 31, Issue 3 , pp 323-328
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- exponential curve
- gastric antral emptying
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. First Department of Surgery, Kyushu University Faculty of Medicine, 3-1-1 Maidashi, Higashi-ku, 812-82, Fukuoka, Japan
- 2. Department of Medical Informatics, Kyushu University Faculty of Medicine, 3-1-1 Maidashi, Higashi-ku, 812-82, Fukuoka, Japan