Beyond over- and under-control: Behavioral observations of shelter children
- Valerie E. Copping
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A review of the available research on child witnesses of family violence reveals inconsistent results. It is proposed that this is due in part to varying methodologies including oversimplified data categories and unreliable sources of report. The current study utilizes a longitudinal naturalistic observation format of 75 children in 5 women's shelters. Results show first, the complexity of behaviors, second, fluctuating positive behaviors, third, the overall decline of negative behaviors, and fourth, the shelter worker's role as the victims' primary object. Conclusions emphasize the importance of early childhood development, the need for clinical support to child victims of violence, and the need for counselling models to facilitate the changes in child victims' behaviors.
- Ainsworth, M. D. (1978).Patterns of Attachment, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, NJ.
- Bandura, A. (1977).Social Learning Theory, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.
- Bowlby, J. (1969).Attachment and Loss, Volume One, Penguin Group Publishers, London, England.
- Bowlby, J. (1979).The Making and Breaking of Affectional Bonds, Tavistock Publications, London, England.
- Copping, V. (1993).An Observational Study on the Behaviors of Children Who Have Witnessed or Who Have Witnessed and Directly Experienced Abuse, Unpublished Master's thesis, Norwich University, Vermont College.
- Davis, L. and Carlson, B. (1987). Observation of spouse abuse: What happens to the children?J. Interpers. Viol. 2(3): 278–291.
- Emery, R. (1982). Interparental conflict and the children of discord and divorce.Psychological Bull. 92: 310–330.
- Erikson, E. (1968).Identity, Youth and Crisis, W. W. Norton, New York.
- Herman, J. L. (1992).Trauma and Recovery, Harper Collins Publishers, New York.
- Hershorn, M. and Rosenbaum, A. (1985). Children of marital violence: A closer look at the unintended victims.Am. J. Orthopsychiatry 55(2): 260–266.
- Holden, G., and Ritchie, K. (1991). Linking extreme marital discord, child rearing, and child behavior problems: Evidence from battered women.J. Child Devel. 62(2): 311–327.
- Hughes, H. (1988). Psychological and behavioral correlates of family violence in child witnesses and victims.Am. J. Orthopsychiatry 58(1): 77–89.
- Jaffe, P., Wolfe, D., Wilson, S., and Zak, L. (1986). Family violence and child adjustment: A comparative analysis of girls' and boys' behavioral symptoms.Am. J. Psychiatry 143(1): 74–77.
- Jourilles, E., Murphy, C., and O'Leary, D. (1989). Interspousal aggression, marital discord, and child problems.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 57(3): 453–455.
- Mahler, M. (1975).The Psychological Birth of The Human Infant, Basic Books, New York.
- Pagelow, M. (1990). Effects of domestic violence on children and their consequences for custody and visitation agreements.Mediat. Quart. 7(4): 347–363.
- Pressman, B., Cameron, G., and Rothery, M. (1989).Intervening with Assaulted Women: Current Theory, Research and Practice, Laurence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, NJ.
- Stark, E., Flitzcraft, A., Zuckerman, D., Grey, A.J., and Frazier, W. (1981, April). Wife abuse in the medical setting: An introduction for health personnel.Dom. Viol. 1: 1–54.
- Straus, M. (1992). Children as witnesses to marital violence: A risk factor for life-long problems among a nationally representative sample of American men and women.Children and Violence: A Report of the Twenty-Third Ross Roundtable on Initial Approaches to Common Paediatric Problems, pp. 98–109.
- Trickett, P., and Kuczynski, L. (1986) Children's misbehaviors and parental discipline strategies in abusive and non-abusive families.Devel. Psychol. 22(1): 115–123.
- Wolfe, D., and Jaffe, P., Wilson, S.K., and Zak, L. (1985). Children of battered women: The relation of child behavior to family violence and maternal stress.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 53(5): 657–665.
- Wolfe, D., and Jaffe, P. (1991). Child abuse and family violence as determinants of child psychopathology: Special issue of childhood disorders in the context of the family.Canad. J. Behav. Sci. 23(3): 282–299.
- Beyond over- and under-control: Behavioral observations of shelter children
Journal of Family Violence
Volume 11, Issue 1 , pp 41-57
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Child and Adolescent Services, Hamilton-Wentworth Regional Department of Public Health Services, P.O. Box 897, L8N 3P6, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada