The mica therapeutic community: Challenges for residents and staff
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Therapeutic communities (TCs) are residential self-help programs for recovering addicts. Traditional TCs are staffed by recovered addicts. Recently the TC model has been modified for the treatment of chemical abusers with severe mental illness. These programs are to varying degrees staffed by mental health professionals. Furthermore, they are often housed in institutions whose model for care is based on service to patients rather than self-help. There are inherent conflicts in the modified TC which is a hybrid of these two treatment approaches. This paper explores issues related to the roles of patients, mental health professionals, and the parent institution in the TC modified for the treatment of the mentally ill chemical abuser.
Supplementary Material (0)
- De Leon G: Therapeutic communities for substance abuse: Overview of approach and effectiveness. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors 3:140–147, 1989.
- De Leon G, Rosenthal MS: Treatment in therapeutic communities, in Treatment of psychiatric disorders, vol. 2. Edited by Karasu TB, American Psychiatric Association Press, 1989.
- O’Brien W, Biase D: Therapeutic community (TC): a coming of age, in Substance abuse: a comprehensive textbook. Edited by Lowinson J, Ruiz P, Millman R, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1992.
- Galanter M, Franco H, Kim A et al: Inpatient treatment for the dually diagnosed, in Dual diagnosis: education, treatment, training, and program development. Edited by Solomon J, Zimberg S, Shollar, E, New York. Plenum Press 1993.
- De Leon G: Modified therapeutic communities for dual diagnosis, in Dual diagnosis: education, treatment, training, and program development. Edited by Solomon J, Zimberg S, Shollar E, New York, Plenum Press, 1993.
- Silberstein CH, Jamner-Metzger E, Galanter M: The Greenhouse: a modified therapeutic community for homeless, mentally ill addicts, in Healing communities: therapeutic communities for special populations in special settings. Edited by De Leon G, Westport, Greenwood Publishing Group, 1996.
- Westreich L, Galanter M, Lifshutz H, et al: A modified therapeutic community for the dually diagnosed. Submitted, American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse.
- Silberstein C, Lifshutz H, Panzer P, et al: Early physical and sexual trauma and posttraumatic stress disorder among inner city dually diagnosed inpatients. Submitted, Substance Abuse.
About this Article
- The mica therapeutic community: Challenges for residents and staff
Volume 67, Issue 4 , pp 263-272
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links