Photoelastic studies on progress of separation in interference fits
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Interference fits are used extensively in aircraft structural joints because of their improved fatigue performance. Recent advances in analysis of these joints have increased understanding of the nonlinear load-contact and load-interfacial slip variations in these joints. Experimental work in these problems is lacking due to difficulties in determining partial contact and partial slip along the pin-hole interface. In this paper, an experimental procedure is enumerated for determining load-contact relations in interference/clearance fits, using photoelastic models and applying a technique for detecting progress of separation/contact up to predetermined locations. The study incorporates a detailed procedure for model making, controlling interference, locating break of contact up to known locations around the interface, estimating optically the degree of interference, determining interfacial friction and evaluating stresses in the sheet. Experiments, simulating joints in large sheets, were carried out under both pin and plate loads. The present studies provide load-separation behavior in interference joint with finite interfacial friction.
- Frocht, M.M., Hill, H.N. (1940) Stress Concentration Factors around a Central Circular Hole in a Plate Loaded through Pin in a Hole. Trans. ASME, J. Appl. Mech. 62: pp. A5-A9
- Jessop, H.T., Snell, C., Hollister, G.S. (1956) Photoelastic Investigation on Plates with Single Interference Fit Pins with Load Applied to Plate Only. Aeronaut. Quart. 7: pp. 297-315
- Jessop, H.T., Snell, C., Hollister, G.S. (1958) Photoelastic Investigations on Plates with Single Interference Fit Pins with Load Applied to (a) Pin Only and (b) Pin and Plate Simultaneously. Aeronaut. Quart. 9: pp. 147-163
- Lambert, T.H., Brailey, R.J. (1962) The Influence of the Coefficient of Friction on the Elastic Stress Concentration Factor for a Pin Jointed Connection. Aeronaut. Quart. 13: pp. 17-29
- Cox, H.L., Brown, A.F.C. (1964) Stresses Round Pins in Holes. Aeronaut. Quart. 15: pp. 357-372
- ESDU Engineering Science Data Unit, 251–259, Regent Street, London, WIR 7AD, England.
- Rao, A.K. (1969) Accurate Determination of Interference in Pin Joints. Experimental Mechanics 9: pp. 45-48
- Venkataraman, N.S. (1966) A Study into the Analysis of Interference Fits and Related Problems. Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India
- Eshwar, V.A. (1977) Partial Contact and Friction in Pin Joints. Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India
- Ghosh, S.P. (1978) Analysis of Joints with Elastic Pins. Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India
- Rao, A.K., “Elastic Analysis of Pin Joints,” Invited Paper in Int. Jour. of Comp. and Strucs, Special issue commemorating the 65th birthday of Prof. J.H. Argyris of the Univ. of Stuttgart and the Imperial College of Sci. and Tech; Published in 9 (2) (1978).
- Durelli, A.J. and Riley, R.J., “Introduction of Photomechanics,” Prentice-Hall (1965).
- Photoelastic studies on progress of separation in interference fits
Volume 22, Issue 1 , pp 8-15
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors