The incidence of increased pollen concentrations during rainfall in the air of London
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Data from a Burkard volumetric sampler in a densely built-up area of North-central London, England are used to investigate the effects of rainfall on pollen concentrtions over four years. Pollen counts generally decreased with rainfall, although several episodes of increased pollen concentration have been recorded in London following the onset of precipitation.
Pollen concentration is recorded as two-hourly pollen counts, while hourly records of nine meteorological variables, including rainfall amount and intensity, are obtained from the London site of the Meteorological Office. The two-hourly changes in concentration that take place during both «normal» rainfall events and during those displaying marked increases in pollen concentration are examined in relation to the patterns of rainfall, the wind regimes, synoptic situation and general characteristics of urban areas.
The influence of rainfall in removing pollen from the air is also examined in relation to the rainfall intensity and size of pollen grains for selected taxa.
- Chandler T.J., (1965) —The climate of London, Hutchinson, London.
- Changnon S.A., (1978) —Urban effects of several local storms. Journal of Applied Meteorology,17:578.
- Dingle A.N., Gatz D.F., (1966) —Air cleansing by convective rains. Journal of Applied Meterology,5:160.
- Emberlin J., (1980) —Smoke and sulphur dioxide in a rural area of central southern England. Atmospheric Environment,14:1371.
- Hyde H.A., (1952) —Studies in atmospheric pollen. V. A daily census of pollens at Cardiff for the six year 1943–1948. New Pytologist,51:281.
- Mc Donald M.S., (1980) —Correlation of airborne grass pollen levels with meteorological data. Grana,19:53.
- Moore P.D., Webb J., (1978) —An illustrated Guide of Pollen Analysis. Hodder & Stoughton, London.
- Norris-Hill J., Emberlin J., (1991) —Diurnal variation of pollen concentration in the air of London. Grana,30:229.
- Oke T.R., (1973) —City size and the urban heat island. Atmopheric Environment,7:769.
- Puls K.E., von Wahl P.G., (1991) —zum Einfluß von Niederschlagen auf pollen in der atmosphere. Grana,30:235.
- Sumner G., (1988) —Precipitation. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester.
- The incidence of increased pollen concentrations during rainfall in the air of London
Volume 9, Issue 1 , pp 27-32
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links